Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump won’t commit to peaceful transfer of power

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 24, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    TikTok to stay in US as Trump begins deal with China
    President Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    US President Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses November’s election.

    “Well, we’ll have to see what happens,” the president told a news conference at the White House. “You know that.”

    Mr Trump also said he believed the election result could end up in the US Supreme Court, as he again cast doubt on postal voting.

    More states are encouraging mail-in voting, citing the need to keep Americans safe from coronavirus.

    What did Trump say?

    Mr Trump was asked by a reporter on Wednesday evening if he would commit to a peaceful transfer of power “win, lose or draw” to Democrat Joe Biden. The president currently trails his challenger in national opinion polls with 41 days to go until the election.

    “I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots,” Mr Trump, a Republican, said. “And the ballots are a disaster.”

    When the journalist countered that “people are rioting”, Mr Trump interjected: “Get rid of the ballots, and you’ll have a very – you’ll have a very peaceful – there won’t be a transfer, frankly, there’ll be a continuation.”

    Back in 2016, Mr Trump also refused to commit to accepting the election results in his contest against the Democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton, which she characterised as an attack on democracy.

    • Trump attacks McCain after widow endorses Biden

    He was eventually declared the winner, although he lost the popular vote by three million, an outcome he still questioned.

    Mitt Romney, a Republican senator who is a rarity in his party because he occasionally criticises the president, tweeted on Wednesday: “Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus.

    “Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable.”

    What have Democrats said?

    Speaking to reporters in Delaware, Mr Biden said Mr Trump’s comments on the transition of power were “irrational”.

    His campaign said it was prepared for any “shenanigans” from the president.

    The Democrat’s team also said “the United States government is perfectly capable of escorting trespassers out of the White House”.

    Mr Biden has himself been accused by conservatives of stoking unrest over the election by saying in August: “Does anyone believe there will be less violence in America if Donald Trump is re-elected?”

    Last month, Mrs Clinton urged Mr Biden this time not to concede defeat “under any circumstances” in a close race on election night.

    She raised the scenario that Republicans would try “messing up absentee balloting” and mobilise an army of lawyers to contest the result.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.