Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump breaks 37-year US policy with Taiwan call

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 3, 2016No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Tariffs slammed on China by US President Donald Trump took effect on 1 September
    Tariffs slammed on China by US President Donald Trump took effect on 1 September
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Donald Trump ended US policy on Taiwan with one phone call
    Donald Trump ended US policy on Taiwan with one phone call

    US President-elect Donald Trump has spoken directly with the president of Taiwan – breaking with US policy set in 1979 when formal relations were cut.

    Trump’s transition team said he and Tsai Ing-wen noted “close economic, political, and security ties” between the US and Taiwan in a phone call.

    The move risks angering China, which sees Taiwan as a breakaway province.

    But Trump tweeted that Ms Tsai had called him, to congratulate him on winning the US election.

    The President of Taiwan CALLED ME today to wish me congratulations on winning the Presidency. Thank you!

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 3, 2016

    Interesting how the U.S. sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call.

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 3, 2016

    Meanwhile his team said that the US president-elect had congratulated also Ms Tsai on becoming the president of Taiwan in January’s elections.

    It is highly unusual for a US president or president-elect to speak to a Taiwanese leader directly.

    Following media reports pointing out the risks of angering China, Mr Trump tweeted: “Interesting how the US sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call.”

    The White House has said Mr Trump’s conversation did not signal any change in US policy.

    Mr Trump’s spokeswoman said Mr Trump was “well aware” of what US policy has been on Taiwan.

    China has hundreds of missiles pointing towards Taiwan, and has threatened to use force if it seeks independence.

    Beijing has so far made no public comment on the latest development.

    President Tsai, Taiwan’s first female leader, led the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) to a landslide victory in the poll.

    The DPP has traditionally leaned towards independence from China.

    Tsai Ing-wen, Taiwan’s shy but steely leader

    Washington cut formal diplomatic ties with Taiwan in 1979, expressing its support for Beijing’s “One China” policy.

    Taiwan President, Tsai Ing-wen called to congratulate Donald Trump
    Taiwan President, Tsai Ing-wen called to congratulate Donald Trump

    President Tsai’s administration does not accept the policy, which states that the Taiwan is part of China.

    The US still maintains friendly non-official relations with Taiwan.

    Following Trump’s telephone conversation, the White House said the US remained firmly committed to its “One China” policy.

    “Our fundamental interest is in peaceful and stable cross-strait relations,” said Ned Price, a spokesman for the White House National Security Council.

    Meanwhile, Trump is also reported to have invited President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines to the White House next year during a “very engaging, animated” phone conversation, according to one of Mr Duterte’s aides.

    But a statement issued by Trump’s transition team made no mention of an invitation.

    The Philippines leader has had disagreements with President Barack Obama and has in the past insulted him. Mr Obama cancelled a planned meeting with him in September.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.