Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trial date set for Khalid Sheikh Mohammad ‘architect of 9/11’

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 31, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Khalid Sheikh Mohammad was first captured in Pakistan in 2003
    Khalid Sheikh Mohammad was first captured in Pakistan in 2003
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A trial date has been set for Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, the alleged architect of the 9/11 attacks on the US.

    Mr Mohammad will be tried, along with four other men, at a military court in Guantánamo Bay from 11 January 2021.

    The men are charged with war crimes including terrorism and the murder of almost 3,000 people.

    The five men will be the first to go on trial, nearly 20 years since the devastating attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

    If found guilty, the group all face the death penalty.

    Khalid Sheikh Mohammad was captured in Pakistan in 2003, and transferred to America’s Guantánamo base in Cuba where he was later charged.

    But attempts to prosecute him and the rest of the group have been mired in delays.

    Khalid Sheikh Mohammad trial history

    During an earlier attempt to try him before a military tribunal in 2008, he said he intended to plead guilty and would welcome martyrdom.

    In 2009 the Obama administration, which had pledged to close Guantánamo, tried to move the trial to New York but reversed its decision in 2011 after opposition from Congress.

    The five men were eventually charged in June 2011 with offences similar to those they were accused of by George W Bush’s administration.

    The Pentagon has previously said Khalid Sheikh Mohammed admitted he was responsible “from A to Z” for the 9/11 attacks.

    US prosecutors allege that he was involved with a host of other terrorist activities.

    These include the 2002 nightclub bombing in Bali, Indonesia; the 1993 World Trade Center bombing; the murder of American journalist Daniel Pearl; and a failed 2001 attempt to blow up an airliner using a shoe bomb.

    Hearings for the forthcoming trial are planned for next month.

    READ: Alvin Kennard who stole $50 to be freed after 36 years

    Lawyers for the group are trying to bar the use of confessions the defendants made to the FBI in 2006.

    They argue that the confessions are unusable in court because of the harsh interrogations carried out during their detention.

    Khalid Sheikh Mohammed has alleged that he has been repeatedly tortured during his detention in Cuba.

    CIA documents confirm that he was subjected to simulated drowning, known as waterboarding, 183 times.

    The four other men – Walid bin Attash, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Ammar al-Baluchi and Mustafa al-Hawsawi – were also interrogated by the CIA in a network of overseas prisons, known as “black sites,” before they were passed on to the US military.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.