Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Transgender military personnel sue Trump over ban

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 10, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Transgender military personnel are are suing Mr Trump and several officials
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Transgender military personnel are are suing Mr Trump and several officials

    Five transgender military personnel in the US military have launched a legal bid to block a ban announced by President Trump on Twitter last month.

    The anonymous plaintiffs from the army, air force and coast guard are suing Mr Trump and several officials.

    They say thousands of transgender troops have declared themselves since the military said they could serve openly and now face uncertain futures.

    Mr Trump said transgender people would “disrupt” the military.

    However it is not yet clear whether formal steps to enforce the ban have yet been taken or how it will affect serving personnel.

    READ: Taming the two death merchants by Iyoha Darlington

    One of the plaintiffs said she had been relieved to be able to come out to her commanding officers following last year’s decision to allow transgender personnel to serve openly in the military.

    “My experience has been positive and I am prouder than ever to continue to serve. I am married and have three children, and the military has been my life. But now, I’m worried about my family’s future,” she said.

    President Donald Trump bans transgender people from serving in the military

    The lawsuit has been filed at a federal court Washington and also names Defense Secretary James Mattis as a defendant.

    It was organised by advocacy groups the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) and GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD).

    Transgender personnel face the potential loss of their professions, livelihoods and post-military and retirement benefits, Shannon Minter from the NCLR said.

    Some transgender personnel had been in the military for as long as 20 years and had fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, Mr Minter said.

    “The president’s mistreatment of these dedicated troops will serve only to weaken and demoralise our armed forces,” he added.

    Other rights groups say they are waiting for the Trump administration to put the ban into effect before launching lawsuits, the New York
    Times reported.

    In his tweets, Mr Trump said the military had to be “focused on decisive and overwhelming victory” and could not be “burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail”.

    He added that the decision came “after consultation with my Generals and military experts”.

    The independent Rand Corporation estimates that about 4,000 US active-duty and reserve service members are transgender, although some campaigners put the figure higher than 10,000.

    Rand predicted that the inclusion of transgender people in the military would lead to a 0.13% increase in healthcare spending – approximately $8.4m.

    Last June the Obama administration gave the military a year to begin accepting transgender recruits.

    However in June, Mr Mattis agreed to a further six-month delay.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.