Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Thousands expected to die of hunger in northeast Nigeria

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 13, 2016No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    FILE PHOTO: Internally Displaced Persons at a camp in Dikwa, Borno, Northeast, Nigeria

    Around 400,000 children are at risk from famine in the states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, 75,000 of whom could die from hunger within months, said the UN children’s agency (UNICEF).

    This was not the case many years ago before the advent of Islamist sect, Boko Haram.

    Since Boko Haram, many children have died, some missing but those that survived their horror are battling hunger.

    In the case of Kaka Mohammed, when Boko Haram militants stormed her hometown of Bama in northeast Nigeria two years ago and kidnapped one of her sons, she escaped with her disabled daughter carried in a wheelbarrow and her other two children fleeing on foot, Reuters reported.

    Mohammed and her children, among the 1.7 million Nigerians uprooted by Boko Haram, were taken in by a family in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, the jihadists’ former stronghold.

    But both the displaced and host families are going hungry amid a deepening food crisis and the threat of imminent famine.

    “As soon as there is peace I want to return home – I don’t want to live here any more,” said 30-year-old Mohammed, who lives with a woman named Zana Malambanwe and her family.

    “The children are suffering, there is no food. They have been complaining bitterly,” she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

    Some 4.4 million people like Mohammed are going hungry across northeast Nigeria, and two million need food aid urgently, according to the UN World Food Programme (WFP).

    “We are living in one room. It is really not easy,” said Malambanwe, also 30, who has hosted the displaced family in her home for over a year.

    “If we get food, we eat together, but sometimes we only eat one meal a day, of cassava flour.”

    Nigeria said last week that aid agencies, such as the United Nations, were exaggerating hunger levels to get more money from international donors. However, the government said in November that the country could face famine by January.

    Boko Haram militants have killed about 15,000 people and displaced 2.4 million across Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Nigeria during a seven-year campaign to create an Islamist caliphate.

    Nigeria’s army has pushed the Islamist group back to its base in Sambisa forest in the past few months but the militants still stage suicide bombings.

    Two girl bombers killed at least three people and wounded 17 at a market on Sunday.

    TENSIONS RISING

    Almost four in five of the 1.4 million displaced Nigerians in Borno state are living in local communities, with the rest residing in temporary camps, according to the United Nations.

    Yet tensions are rising in many homes as food runs short.

    “The biggest problem is food,” said 22-year-old Fatima Omar, a wife and mother-of-five who hosts a family in her house.

    “My husband is a mechanic and if there is a car to repair then he gets money… If we get money we will divide it between the two families. If not, we go hungry,” Omar added.

    More than 100,000 people, including Omar and Malambanwe, receive money from WFP through a system which delivers credit to mobile phones that can be exchanged for food at markets. But not everyone is covered by the credit scheme.

    “We had a cash distribution from WFP, but [Mohammed and her family] has not received anything,” Malambanwe said.

    People are leaving host families and moving to camps as food becomes increasingly scarce, the European Commission’s humanitarian arm (ECHO) said earlier this year.

    Aid agencies say they are restricted by a lack of funding. The United Nations’ $484 million appeal for 2016 has only been half funded, the U.N.’s Financial Tracking Service shows.

    The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) earlier this month doubled its humanitarian funding appeal for northeast Nigeria to $1 billion in 2017 in a bid to reach some 7 million people affected by Boko Haram.

    “Northeast Nigeria is a highly visible crisis within the humanitarian community, but not perhaps getting a great level of international media attention,” said U.N. official Abdi Farah.

    “There are still big funding gaps in various sectors, including food security,” Farah added.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.