Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    February 17, 2026
    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    February 17, 2026
    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    • Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill
    • 100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support
    • Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue
    • House of Reps row over electoral act amendment bill
    • Saka extends Arsenal stay with fresh five-year contract
    • Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Tariffs: Lawan cautions MultiChoice to stay action

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 13, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Senate President Ahmad Lawan has cautioned Multichoice Nigeria not to dare Nigeria by going ahead to hike the tariff on its products while the matter is being investigated.

    He gave the warning on Tuesday in Abuja while inaugurating a seven-member Ad hoc Committee of the Senate headed by the Senate Deputy Chief Whip, Sen. Sabi Abdullahi, investigate circumstances around the proposed hike.

    Lawan urged the Pay-TV to stay action by not increasing the tariff.

    “No increase. And that is to say don’t dare our country. No increase in tariffs,” Lawan cautioned MultiChoice.

    He cautioned that no foreign operators in the country should take Nigeria for granted.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the committee had been set up by the Senate on Wednesday, March 30, against the backdrop of an announcement of tariff hike by the Multichoice Pay Tv service provider, DStv.

    • Tax Dispute: FIRS, MultiChoice Nigeria reach agreement

    It was however officially inaugurated on Tuesday, April 12.

    Lawan said, “No operator should take us for granted. We mean business. We want you to be here. Nigeria always provides the climate for you to do your businesses, but don’t abuse the laws of our country.

    “Our consumers here are people who are innocent and we are prepared to protect them.

    “When the legitimate interests of our people are threatened, we are supposed to ensure that we protect them.

    “It has been the practice of many companies, especially foreign companies, operating in Nigeria to treat the Nigerian consumers of their products in a different way and manner that is not consistent with global best practices.”

    He urged members of the committee to handle the issue very dispassionately with a very clear mind.

    “The Consumer Protection Council and other agencies of government and even non-governmental organisations and civil society organisations are supposed to attend this kind of investigation.

    “We need to know what roles actually such government institutions established for the purposes of protecting Nigerian consumers perform. What are their problems if they are not doing well.”

    Earlier, Chairman of the Committee, Sen. Abdullahi, said investigation into the activities of the Pay-Tv service providers was long overdue as their activities, over time had ripped Nigerians off their hard-earned incomes.

    “It is mind boggling that barely two years after a price hike by Multichoice, which was followed by a big uproar by Nigerians, comes another unexpected increment without proper consultation with critical stakeholders.

    “This incessant hike in tariff without recourse to constituted authorities is a thing of great concern that calls for questioning.

    “This investigation is an opportunity to right the wrongs and bring these service providers to operate within the confines of the law as obtainable outside the shores of the country,” he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    Kwara: No fewer than nine worshipers were abducted on Sunday by Terrorists during a vigil at St. John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

    Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue

    Reps row over electoral act amendment bill

    House of Reps row over electoral act amendment bill

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    February 17, 2026
    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    February 17, 2026
    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    February 17, 2026
    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    February 17, 2026
    Kwara: No fewer than nine worshipers were abducted on Sunday by Terrorists during a vigil at St. John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

    Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.