Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Switzerland to return $321m loot stolen by Abacha

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 5, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Court dismisses Sani Abacha family’s N500m suit against Nigerian govt over Abuja property
    Tinubu expressed his gratitude to France for the return of $150m Abacha loot
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Late General Sani Abacha was a former dictator who looted Nigeria’s treasury to Siwtzerland

    Nigeria has signed a Memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Switzerland for the return of $321 million in looted funds to Nigeria.

    Nigeria’s minister of justice and attorney general, Mr Abubakar Malami, signed the MOU with Swiss authorities on Monday in Zurich.

    He expressed gratitude for the international support Nigeria was getting in the fight against corruption.

    Global collaboration, he said was critical to the success of the fight.

    “We will continue to work to deepen mechanisms not just for asset recovery but for preventing corruption in the first place.”

    He explained that Nigeria was one of the four countries being prioritized for Asset Recovery assistance at this maiden edition of the Global Forum on Assets Recovery holding in the US.

    READ: 2017 Banker Award: GTBank emerges Nigeria’s Best Bank

    Fighting corruption through institution-building, entrenching safeguards, and global collaboration would continue to be a priority for the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

    Transparency International, a corruption watchdog, said Abacha stole up to $5 billion of public money during the five years he ran the oil-rich country, from 1993 until his death in 1998.

    In 2014, Nigeria and the Abacha family reached an agreement for the Nigeria to get back the funds, which had been frozen, in return for dropping a complaint against the former military ruler’s son, Abba Abacha.

    The son was charged by a Swiss court with money-laundering, fraud and forgery in April 2005, after being extradited from Germany, and later spent 561 days in custody.

    In 2006, Luxembourg ordered that funds held by the younger Abacha be frozen.

    Now Switzerland, Nigeria and the World Bank have agreed the funds will be repatriated via a project supported and overseen by the World Bank, the Swiss government said.

    “The project will strengthen social security for the poorest sections of the Nigerian population. The agreement also regulates the disbursement of restituted funds in tranches and sets out concrete measures to be taken in the event of misuse or corruption,” it added.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Court adjourns Natasha Akpoti’s suit against senate to March 25

    Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.