Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    AFCON Qualifiers: CAF to decide Libya vs Super Eagles case Wednesday

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 22, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    CAF: Super Eagles arrive Nigeria after ordeal in Libya
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Confederation of African Football (CAF) will make a decision on Wednesday regarding the cancelled AFCON qualification Group D match between Libya and Nigeria at Benina Martyrs Stadium on October 15.

    According to Libya Al-Ahrar Channel, the apex continental football body will announce the final decision on the players’ ordeal during the first leg in Nigeria in October, which ended 1-0 in favour of the Super Eagles, as well as the reverse fixture, which would have taken place at Libya’s first all-seater stadium, with a capacity of 10,550.

    The site also revealed that the Libyan Football Federation shared all of the documents it gathered with a qualified lawyer appointed by the authority to oversee the Libyan file with the Confederation of African Football.

    A day after the cancelled match, CAF removed the event from its calendar after announcing its cancellation hours before kickoff, and the incident was sent to the Disciplinary Committee for review.

    The Libyan Football Federation issued a statement on Monday condemning Nigeria’s actions in response to the team’s refusal to play its match against Libya.

    The Federation stated that it would take all legal action to protect the interests of the national football team.

    Nigeria arrived for the match on Sunday, October 14, only to have their flight redirected to Al Abraq International Airport, which is almost three hours by car from Benghazi, the event’s venue.

    The Libyan authorities detained them for about 17 hours, leaving them traumatised as they went back to their own nation.

    Nigeria filed a protest with CAF, bemoaning their situation, and the Libyan Federation stated that the Nigerians did not collaborate with them in any manner, whether in the first or second leg, implying that their experience was child’s play in comparison to theirs when in Nigeria for the first leg.

    The CAF condemned what happened to the Nigerian squad in Libya as “extremely dangerous,” stressing that it had contacted Libyan and Nigerian officials after learning that the latter had been subjected to alarming conditions at the airport for hours.

    It reported the incident to its disciplinary committee, which will investigate and take appropriate action against individuals who breached the regulations.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    Super Eagles of Nigeria players pose for photo before a match.

    Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Peter Obi unperturbed as PDP clears Jonathan for 2027 election

    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.