Nathaniel Spencer, a 38-year-old doctor of Quinton, Birmingham, has been charged with sexually assaulting 38 patients while working at major hospitals in the West Midlands, the Crown Prosecution Service revealed.
The release dated Friday read, “Former practicing doctor Nathaniel John Spencer, 38, of Quinton, Birmingham, who is British, has been charged with 15 counts of sexual assault, 17 counts of assault by penetration, nine counts of sexual assault of a child under 13, three counts of assault of a child under 13 by penetration, and one count of attempted assault by penetration.
“It follows a complex investigation by our Public Protection Unit into sexual offenses at the Royal Stoke University Hospital, in Stoke-on-Trent, and Russells Hall Hospital, in Dudley.
“He is due to appear at the North Staffordshire Justice Centre on 20 January 2026.”
The offenses reportedly took place between 2017 and 2021 at Royal Stoke University Hospital in Stoke-on-Trent and Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley, the CPS confirmed.
The BBC asked whether multiple children were involved; however, both the CPS and Staffordshire Police said they could not provide further details.
Spencer is scheduled to appear in the North Staffordshire Justice Centre on January 20, 2026.
The CPS stated that the decision to prosecute stemmed from a “detailed and complex investigation by Staffordshire Police.”
Mr. Spencer has been suspended from medical practice in the UK until the result of the investigation.
From August 2017 to August 2020, he worked as a resident doctor, often known as a junior doctor, at the University Hospitals of North Midlands (UHNM) NHS Trust. He then served as a resident doctor for The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust from August 2020 to April 2021.
Both trusts have established dedicated helplines for anyone with concerns about the care they received.
Dr. Paul Hudson, the Dudley Group’s operational medical director, noted, “We understand that many of our patients, staff, and people in the wider community will find this news very distressing.”
The trust stated that it had been working closely with the police throughout the investigations.
UHNM added, “As this is an ongoing criminal process, we cannot comment further at this time, but we would like to reassure the public that the safety and well-being of our patients and their relatives are our highest priority.”
The General Medical Council confirmed that it had taken action to prevent Spencer from practicing while investigating his fitness to practice.
“Its investigation would continue once criminal proceedings had concluded,” the GMC said, adding that Mr. Spencer remained suspended until that time.









