Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    South Africa’s president, Jacob Zuma suffers double court blow

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 13, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma faces 18 corruption charges
    Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    President Jacob Zuma has become increasingly unpopular in South Africa
    President Jacob Zuma has become increasingly unpopular in South Africa

    South African President Jacob Zuma has lost two court cases in one day, both linked to corruption allegations.

    Pretoria’s High Court ordered Mr Zuma to set up a judicial inquiry, calling him “seriously reckless” for challenging recommendations by a watchdog in a case against him.



    In the second case, a judge ruled he had abused the judicial process by trying to block a report on corruption, ordering him to pay legal fees.

    Mr Zuma quits as ANC leader next week.

    The party is currently battling to choose Mr Zuma’s successor as leader. He is due to remain as president until elections in 2019.

    In his 10-year term he has been dogged by allegations of corruption, all of which he denies.

    Read Also Three men charged with felony for abusing a Shark

    BBC Africa correspondent Andrew Harding says the South African judiciary is flexing its muscles, at a time of deepening anxiety about state corruption and apparent impunity.

    In the first ruling, the court gave Mr Zuma 30 days to appoint an inquiry into allegations of corruption against him and his associates.

    The inquiry was one of the recommendations on state influence-peddling by the country’s anti-corruption watchdog, which the president had tried to challenge.

    Judge President Dunstan Mlambo described Mr Zuma’s attempt to challenge the rulings as “ill-advised” and an abuse of the judicial process.
    As yet Mr Zuma has not commented on the decision.

    Withering and unprecedented
    In a separate case, Judge Mlambo also ruled that Mr Zuma had been unreasonable in trying to use the courts to block the publication of an explosive official report into high-level corruption, known as state capture.
    He ordered Mr Zuma to pay all legal costs out of his own pocket.

    Our correspondent describes this as a withering and unprecedented judgement against a sitting president.

    The report’s author, Thuli Madonsela, told Reuters after the verdict: “An allegation that the state has been captured in the interests of the president and his friends is an allegation that needs to be investigated immediately.”

    Mr Zuma has been accused of conspiring with a wealthy business family, the Guptas, to control lucrative state contracts.

    Zuma’s legal woes:

    2005: Charged with corruption over multi-billion dollar 1999 arms deal – charges dropped shortly before he becomes president in 2009
    2016: Court orders he should be charged with corruption over the deal – he has appealed
    2005: Charged with raping family friend – acquitted in 2006
    2016: Court rules he breached his oath of office by using government money to upgrade private home in Nkandla – he has repaid the money
    2017: Public protector said he should appoint judge-led inquiry into allegations he profiteered from relationship with wealthy Gupta family – he denies allegations, as have the Guptas

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student

    Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.