Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Slain Borno farmers didn’t get clearance to work on rice fields – Garba Shehu

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 30, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Buhari made Tinubu president by keeping fuel subsidy – Garba Shehu
    Garba Shehu is Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media & Publicity)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity to President Buhari says farmers who were brutally murdered on a rice field in Zabarmari village in Borno state should have obtained military clearance before resuming farming activities in the area.

    Mr. Shehu who spoke to BBC ‘Newsday’ said the government was sad about the tragic incident, but added that the “people need to understand what it is like in the Lake Chad Basin area.”

    He claimed that though much of the area has been liberated from Boko Haram terrorists, there are still a number of spaces that have not been cleared for the return of villagers who have been displaced.

    “The truth has to be said. Was there any military clearance from the military who are in total control of the area?” Mr. Shehu queried. “Did anybody ask to resume activity?”

    Garba Shehu emphasised that he had been briefed by military authorities that the villagers did not seek military advice before exposing themselves to “a window that the terrorists have exploited.”

    • Nigerians renew calls for sack of Service Chiefs

    “So ideally, all of these places ought to probably be allowed to pass through proper military clearance before resettlement or even farmers resuming activities on those fields,” he said.

    The presidency’s apparent misspeak comes barely 48 hours after Peoples Gazette reported that at least 43 rice farmers were beheaded by terrorists while working on their farms. Subsequent reports indicated that the fatalities was around 110 persons with some women also abducted by the marauders.

    Garba Shehu’s comment may be viewed as unempathetic and insensitive, even for a government that has become notorious for refusing to take responsibility for obvious failures of governance and always seeking to shift blame.

    Insecurity has worsened all over the country in the last one week. Party chieftains were abducted and murdered in Nasarawa and Katsina. Kidnappers continue to cause havoc on Abuja-Kaduna Expressway, keeping the military busy in attempts to clear them off the highway.

    Down South, suspected criminals bombed a Port Harcourt church belonging to the state governor’s father; while a first-class traditional ruler was murdered by suspected bandits in Ondo.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.