Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    • EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe
    • Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Six-week-old dies as US coronavirus death toll crosses 5,000

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 2, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    coronavirus nigeria
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Death toll in the United States from the coronavirus pandemic has topped 5,000, with a six-week-old baby becoming one of the youngest known victims.

    At about 02:35 GMT on Thursday, 5,116 people had died in the US, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University, which came on the same day the country set a one-day record of 884 people killed in 24 hours.

    Among the latest US fatalities was the six-week-old baby who was taken to a Connecticut hospital late last week.

    “Testing confirmed last night that the newborn was COVID-19 positive,” the state’s Governor Ned Lamont tweeted on Wednesday. “This is absolutely heartbreaking.”

    • Ekiti Arraigns Two Egyptians For Defying Sit-At-Home

    The US death toll is lower than those of Italy and Spain but above the 3,316 recorded in China, where the pandemic first emerged in December.

    According to Johns Hopkins University the US leads the world in the number of cases of the new coronavirus, with 215,417.

    President Donald Trump, who had earlier downplayed the pandemic’s effect, on Wednesday said: “We’re going to have a couple of weeks, starting pretty much now, but especially a few days from now, that are going to be horrific.”

    Last Sunday, senior US scientist Anthony Fauci issued a cautious prediction that the novel coronavirus could claim 100,000 to 200,000 lives in the country.

    Confirmed coronavirus infections around the world approached one million on Thursday as the pandemic spread at a “near-exponential” rate.

    Half the planet is under some form of lockdown as governments struggle to tamp down the virus.

    Src

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai says FG behind US move to blacklist Kwankwaso

    MURIC demands sharia courts, public holidays in Southwest on Fridays

    MURIC condemns ‘unjust’ US sanctions on Muslim leaders

    Kwankwaso said the Kwankwasiyya movement will begin commemorating January 23 to mark those who betrayed the group.

    Remove Kwankwaso from sanctions bill, Kano deputy gov tells US

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    February 18, 2026
    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.