Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    #FreeSenegal: Senegal restricts internet access

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedAugust 1, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Senegal blocks internet access again
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Senegalese government has stated that internet access will be restricted beginning this week in order to reduce the propagation of abusive sentiments on social media.

    This new declaration from the country’s communications minister, Moussa Bocar Thiam, comes after an opposition leader, Ousmane Sonko, was charged on Saturday with rebellion, criminal conspiracy, and other charges.

    The Senegalese government will ban internet access for the second time in 2023.  Social media usage in the country had been restricted following the arrest of opposition leader Ousmane Sonko, who was sentenced to two years in prison, and a tweet from PASTEF (Patriotes Africains du Sénégal Pour le Travail, l’Éthique, and la Fraternité), which called on all Senegalese citizens to take to the streets and protest the verdict, report said.

    At the time, the Ministry of Communication, Telecommunications, and the Digital Economy announced that the Internet of Mobile Data was temporarily suspended during certain time slots due to the dissemination of hateful and subversive messages in the context of public order disturbances in certain localities of the national territory. Telephone operators must comply with any notified requisitions.

    Senegal’s experience with internet outages

    Senegal’s latest internet restrictions are surprising considering that the country is regarded as one of the region’s more stable democracies. Senegal will block social media applications in 2021 after a protester was killed in a scuffle with police, marking the West African country’s second internet outage in three years.

    • Senegal reports bird flu outbreak on farm

    This second internet limitation in 2023 would not be welcomed by the population.

    A Senegalese wrote earlier this year to explain the agony of enduring an internet blackout.

    “I can confirm that we are experiencing significant difficulties with communication channels and information sharing.” We’ve been utilizing VPNs to access networks like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp since the third week of June.

    “This is done voluntarily in order to censor information because the majority of the print and television press is corrupt, and for the few that aren’t, the regulatory authority blocks their signal.”

    Internet censorship aims to protect intellectual property, regulate cybercrime, and prevent the spread of false news such as hoaxes and propaganda. However, there are two sides to every coin, and the subject of internet regulation presents both benefits and drawbacks.

    According to Impakter, internet disruptions may cost a country’s economy millions of dollars since they prevent consumers and companies from doing online transactions and interfere with online banking systems. Senegal has lost $16.7 million as a result of internet disruptions that have affected 8.01 million people.

    Internet failures are not only destructive to Africa’s economy on a daily basis; a government closure of internet access breaches rights and undermines democracy. Furthermore, it has the potential to quell the violent demonstrations that have plagued the country that was once touted as Africa’s paragon of peace and stability.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.