Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins
    • Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta
    • Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco
    • Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash
    • 2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation
    • Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Senegal cancels Akon’s $6bn Wakanda-inspired city project

    David GreatBy David GreatJuly 10, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Twitter: Akon denies criticising Elon Musk for enforcing payment  
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Senegal has officially cancelled plans for Akon City, a $6 billion futuristic smart city project proposed by Senegalese-American singer, Akon.

    The project, which was first announced in 2020, aimed to transform the quiet coastal village of Mbodiène into a modern, tech-driven metropolis inspired by Marvel’s Wakanda.

    Despite initial enthusiasm and a grand vision that included solar power and a cryptocurrency ecosystem based on Akon’s own “Akoin,” the project failed to take off.

    After five years of inaction and unmet financial obligations, the Senegalese government has reclaimed most of the 136 acres of land previously allocated for the development.

    “That project no longer exists,” said Serigne Mamadou Mboup, head of Sapco-Senegal, the state agency overseeing coastal and tourism development, in a statement to L’Agence de presse sénégalaise.

    • Akon Wakanda now grazing goats as crypto dream crumbles

    According to a report by Bloomberg, SAPCO now plans to pursue a scaled-down, state-backed tourism project on the same site. The new development, which will be supported by private investors, has a revised budget of 665 billion CFA francs (approximately $1.2 billion).

    As part of the revision, Akon will retain only 8 hectares of the original site. This parcel will be integrated into the broader project now under state supervision.

    Although Akon City generated global buzz upon its announcement, visible progress was minimal. Only a youth centre, basketball court, and information kiosk had been constructed, while the ambitious first phase—which was to include a hospital—missed its 2023 completion deadline.

    Officials remain optimistic about the renewed direction, noting that the restructured project could create up to 15,000 jobs in its initial phase, potentially revitalising the local economy of Mbodiène.

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    February 18, 2026
    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.