Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    • US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
    • Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Presidency backs EFCC’s probe of Atiku’s son-in-law, denies witch-hunt claims

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoAugust 23, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Oshiomhole mocks Atiku for criticizing Tinubu's Plateau visit
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Presidency has thrown its weight behind the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, which declared Abdullahi Haske, a businessman and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar’s son-in-law, wanted for suspected criminal conspiracy and money laundering.

    Haske, the founder of AA & R Investment Group, was placed on the EFCC’s wanted list for allegedly violating the terms of his administrative release and failing to respond to the commission’s invitations.

    According to an EFCC insider, the businessman had been under investigation for alleged corruption for several months before disappearing after being granted bail.

    “His case with the EFCC has been ongoing for some time, and he was duly invited. He is facing corruption allegations but failed to comply with the conditions of his administrative bail.

    “He was expected to report regularly to the commission as investigations progressed, but since securing bail, he has gone into hiding.

    “He would not have been declared wanted if he had remained in the country and honoured our invitations. His refusal to appear is the reason the EFCC had to declare him wanted,” the source said.

    In a letter issued by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the EFCC requested members of the public with information regarding Haske’s whereabouts to contact the nearest police station or any of its offices countrywide.

    The agency gave his last known addresses in Ikoyi and Victoria Island, Lagos, as well as phone numbers and an email address for tips.

    Haske’s company, AA & R Investment Group, which invests in energy, agribusiness, logistics, and ICT, had previously been tied to investigations into alleged multimillion-dollar transfers from Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

    In response to the development, Atiku’s media adviser, Paul Ibe, accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of political persecution, stating that the inquiry was an attempt to target opposition figures.

    “Our concern is that we hope the young man is not being victimised on account of being an in-law to the former Vice President. Tinubu has shown the capacity to use the instrument of the state to harass and intimidate opposition,” he said.

    However, the Presidency dismissed the charges as unjustified.

    Speaking through Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Sunday Dare, the presidency emphasised that the EFCC was functioning within its authority.

    “There is no harassment or victimisation here, only the independent and lawful operation of Nigeria’s anti-corruption institutions. No one is above the law,” he said.

    Dare asserted that Tinubu’s administration was devoted to upholding the rule of law and safeguarding due process, in contrast to previous regimes that allegedly weaponised state institutions for political witch hunts.

    He said, “Those attempting to politicise the arrest of a son-in-law to a former vice president are simply grasping at straws. No one is above the law, and without strong institutions that act without fear or favour, no country can truly progress.

    Furthermore, the President’s spokesman said, “The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is carrying out its statutory duties, as expected of every agency under the law.

    “President Bola Tinubu does not abuse the powers of his office, unlike those who once weaponised state institutions for political witch-hunts.

    “This administration is committed to strengthening the rule of law, ensuring due process, and expediting investigations and prosecutions backed by credible evidence.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Terrorists abduct nine Catholic church worshippers in Benue

    Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    February 15, 2026
    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.