Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Police free over 300 boys chained, starved in Daura

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 16, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Some of the detainees in the Kaduna Islamic school had visible injuries
    FILE: Some of the detainees in the Kaduna Islamic school had visible injuries
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Beaten. Starved. Sexually assaulted. Chained. For the second time in a month, police in northern Nigeria have raided a building where hundreds of boys were held in dehumanizing conditions, officials said Tuesday.

    This time, the building was discovered in President Muhammadu Buhari’s hometown of Daura, putting pressure on him to act against the practice of sending children to institutions run by Islamic scholars rather than conventional schools.

    The children are often sent out on the streets to beg.

    More than 300 boys had been held in the building raided on Monday in Daura, Katsina state police spokesman Gambo Isa told The Associated Press.

    The building was discovered when some of the boys escaped on Sunday and protested against excessive torture.

    “Many of those rescued have been sent to hospital on account of the ill treatment they suffered,” Isa said. “Some of them are unable to walk because of the injuries they sustained after being chained for several years.”

    President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria says Ruga will resolve farmer/herder crisis
    President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria under pressure to act

    The building’s owner and others involved were arrested, Isa said, and 67 boys were rescued. Search parties were looking for the ones who had escaped.

    READ: Nigerian painting fetches £1.1 million at Sotheby’s

    Some of the boys had been enrolled by their families for Quranic studies, Isa said. Others had been sent there because of delinquency or for treatment for drug addiction in an attempt at “character remodeling.”

    Police said the school’s proprietor, 78-year old Bello Mai Almajirai, “has been in the business for more than 40 years and now he has become old he no longer has the capacity to run the rehab Islamic school.”

    The raid follows one late last month in Kaduna city, where police discovered some 400 boys and young men. Marks on their bodies showed that some had been tortured, police said.

    The office of Nigeria’s president did not immediately comment on the latest raid.

    An aide to Buhari, who comes from the north, earlier this year noted the widespread view that the “almajiri” learning system associated with begging was a “security challenge and a scar on the face of Northern Nigeria.”

    But the aide, Garba Shehu, rejected reports that the president had banned the system. “The federal government wants a situation where every child of primary school age is in school rather than begging on the streets during school hours,” he said. “At the same time, we don’t want to create panic or a backlash.”

    Many Nigerians have expressed concern that some who study at almajiri institutions are prone to religious extremism.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.