Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Photos: Gunmen kill 36 in Birane village, Zamfara

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 16, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    36 people were killed in Birane village in Zurmi Local Council, Zamfara State
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    36 people were killed in Birane village in Zurmi Local Council, Zamfara State

    Thirty six people killed by gunmen in Birane Village in Zurmi Local Council of Zamfara State on Wednesday have been buried, amidst outrage in the social media that the tragedy was being downplayed and that there has been no official reaction.

    However, the Police Command in Zamfara admitted that 18 persons died in the attack, which appears to be a reprisal against the villagers for intercepting a suspected cattle rustler.

    The Public Relations Officer of the command, DSP Muhammad Shehu, said on February 13, hunters from Birani village of Zurmi local government area intercepted and accosted a herder in the bush with some suspected stolen cattle and sheep.

    36 people were killed in Birane village, Zurmi local council, Zamfara are buried en masse

    “The herder abandoned the animals and escaped into the bush, but unknown to the hunters, the cattle rustler went to Isah Local Government Area of Sokoto State and mobilised bandits to attack the hunters.

    “On February 14, the bandits ambushed the hunters in the bush and there was a clash that led to fatalities on both sides.

    READ: Oprah Winfrey rejects $1billion war chest to battle Trump in 2020

    “Police/Military and other sister agencies reacted by combing the bush and it’s environs to salvage the situation and discovered 18 dead bodies.

    “It is believed that the bandits took away their own members that were killed. Meanwhile, bush combing is in progress so as to further profile the area.

    “Mobile policemen/Special forces and other security personnel from other sister security agencies have already been deployed to the area to restore peace and stability,” he said.

    The spokesman also said that the command’s Intelligence Unit had already embarked on investigation to arrest the perpetrators of the attack.

    There were comments on social media about the latest tragedy to befall the state, North west of Nigeria.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.