Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    February 17, 2026
    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    February 17, 2026
    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    • Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill
    • 100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support
    • Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue
    • House of Reps row over electoral act amendment bill
    • Saka extends Arsenal stay with fresh five-year contract
    • Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    PDP seeks EFCC probe as Okpebholo suspends AG

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Okpebholo orders security personnel change after denying supporters access into govt house
    Edo State governor Monday Okpebholo
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called for an investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) into the financial recklessness that led to the suspension of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Samson Osagie, and the Chairman of the Edo State Local Government Service Commission, Damian Lawani.

    The PDP was concerned that the suspension of the two officials exposed what it called the careless financial mismanagement under Governor Monday Okpebholo’s government, according to a statement released by Tony Aziegbemi, the party’s state chairman.

    “We also urge relevant security agencies, including the Department of State Services, the military, the police, and the EFCC, to investigate the fraudulent activities and financial recklessness characterising the government’s operations over the past two months,” Aziegbemi said.

    Following accusations of financial violations against Osagie and Lawani, the suspensions took place on Wednesday.

    This increased the number of prominent state officials that Okpebholo had suspended to three.

    Ahmed Momoh, the Executive Director/CEO of the State Flood Erosion and Watershed Management Agency, had been suspended by the governor for insubordination just two weeks prior for his participation in an unapproved turbaning ceremony.

    The governor appointed a committee to look into the claims against Osagie and Lawani and offer recommendations in a letter dated February 5, 2025, signed by Secretary to the State Government Umar Ikhilor.

    The two officers were to stay suspended until the investigation was finished, the statement further stated.

    “The suspension of Hon. Damian Lawani and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice became necessary to enable the government to carry out a thorough investigation into the allegation of financial infractions levelled against them. They are to remain suspended pending the conclusion of the investigation,” the statement noted.

    On Thursday, Osagie officially disputed the charges, stating that he had never been involved in any financial malfeasance.

    He said he was prepared to defend himself and clear his record.

    “Let me state unequivocally that I am not and was never involved in any financial dealings with anyone nor committed any financial infractions of any kind. I was also not confronted with the said allegations by anyone until my suspension was announced. I will be prepared to defend myself and prove my innocence in order to clear my name and hard-earned reputation, which I have laboured to build over the years,” Osagie stated.

    The PDP’s Aziegbemi called for a thorough EFCC investigation, underlining that the suspension verified the party’s worries about systematic corruption within the Okpebholo administration.

    “These findings merely scratch the surface of systemic corruption, misappropriation of public funds, and blatant legal violations occurring right under the governor’s watch,” Aziegbemi said. “Despite these suspensions, only a thorough investigation can reveal the full extent of the corruption and organised theft committed by these disempowered politicians, who have regained control of public finances in just 85 days of Okpebholo’s administration.”

    He further accused the state government of several sorts of financial mismanagement, including the illegal expulsion of lawfully elected council chairpersons, mishandling funding for local government personnel, and a sharp fall in the state’s internally produced revenue from N8bn to N2bn monthly.

    In order to support grassroots development, the PDP urged the federal government to step in immediately in Edo State, return local governments to their elected representatives, and guarantee their autonomy.

    Peter Uwadiae-Igbinigie, the All Progressives Congress’s (APC) state publicity secretary, said his party would make its stance on the issue public on Friday when contacted for comment.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    Kwara: No fewer than nine worshipers were abducted on Sunday by Terrorists during a vigil at St. John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

    Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue

    Reps row over electoral act amendment bill

    House of Reps row over electoral act amendment bill

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    February 17, 2026
    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    February 17, 2026
    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    February 17, 2026
    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    February 17, 2026
    Kwara: No fewer than nine worshipers were abducted on Sunday by Terrorists during a vigil at St. John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

    Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.