Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Over 200 migrants drowned in Mediterranean – Agency

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 24, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    FILE PHOTO: Migrants sit in a boat during a rescue operation by Italian navy off the coast of the south of the Italian island of Sicily in this November 28, 2013 picture provided by the Italian Marina Militare. About 350 migrants, who were travelling in four separate boats were rescued on Thursday in the operation called Mare Nostrum, Italian navy said. Picture taken November 28 by REUTERS

    More than 200 migrants are feared dead in a boat sinking off the coast of Libya, a Spanish aid organisation says.

    Proactiva Open Arms said it had recovered five bodies floating near two capsized boats, which can each hold more than 100 people.

    The group’s Laura Lanuza said the five they pulled from the Mediterranean were young men who appeared to have drowned.

    A spokesman for Italy’s coast guard, which co-ordinates rescues, confirmed the five deaths.

    But he told the BBC that they could not confirm the estimates of deaths given by Proactiva, and said they had received no distress calls from any boats.

    Ms Lanuza said at least 240 migrants may have died as the boats were often overloaded by smugglers.

    “We brought on board five corpses recovered from the sea, but no lives,” the group wrote on its Facebook page.

    “It is a harsh reality check of the suffering here that is invisible in Europe.”

    Numbers of migrants trying to reach Europe from Libya via Italy have risen dramatically this year since the route between Turkey and Greece was effectively shut down.

    The Italian coast guard said they had co-ordinated more than 40 rescue operations in the last few days.

    The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says more than 20,000 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year – and some 559 people are estimated to have died or gone missing en route.

    This compares with fewer than 19,000 arrivals in Italy and about 350 deaths in the first three months of 2016.

    “We have yet to complete March, and we are already racing at a pace of arrivals that has exceeded anything we’ve seen before in the Mediterranean,” IOM spokesman Joel Millman said earlier this week.

    “This is typical of spring, getting very busy, but it’s not typical to have the numbers be so high this early and the corresponding deaths that go with it.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.