Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Northern Youth Leaders tell Atiku to drop Obi or lose 2019 election

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 24, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Peter Obi, Atiku Abubakar and Otunba Gbenga Daniel
    Peter Obi, Atiku Abubakar and Otunba Gbenga Daniel
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Peter Obi, Atiku Abubakar and Otunba Gbenga Daniel
    Peter Obi, Atiku Abubakar and Otunba Gbenga Daniel

    The Peoples Democratic Party presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar was yellow-carded Tuesday by the Northern Youth Leaders Forum over his choice of former governor Peter Obi, as running mate.

    The group sent Atiku a dire message: drop Obi or lose.

    The youths tabled their demand at a meeting on Monday with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, now Atiku’s godfather.

    They asked Atiku to review the choice of Obi, if he hopes to earn the North’s support.

    The group, which prides itself as the apex body of 46 youth organisations in the North, threatened to mobilise its over six million members against the PDP and its presidential candidate, if Atiku failed to take its advice.

    The national chairman of the group, Comrade Elliot Afiyo, who spoke on Tuesday in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, after a meeting with former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Monday night, claimed that the body had been instrumental to the electoral victories of successive presidents since 1999.

    It claimed to have played a major role in incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari’s victory and it also played a critical role in the reconciliation between Atiku and Obasanjo.

    According to Afiyo, the group had equally intimated the former President of their position on Atiku’s running mate.

    It was not immediately clear yesterday what Obasanjo, who has just ended a long feud with Atiku and endorsed him, told the youths.

    Afiyo said Obi’s choice was causing friction in the Southeast, which is largely responsible for the impending defection of the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremandu, from the PDP.

    He added that Obi is strongly viewed as anti-north and a major sponsor of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

    READ: VP Osinbajo launches Trader Moni, holds MSMEs clinic in Bauchi

    According to him, over 70 percent of Emirs and other traditional rulers in the North will not support Atiku’s choice of running mate and maintained that PDP will fail to produce the next president, if the party eventually flies the Atiku/Obi ticket.

    Afiyo advised PDP to pick Atiku’s running mate from South south. He suggested that either Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike or his Bayelsa State counterpart, Seriake Dickson, should be considered.

    Afiyo said: “Atiku is an experienced politician, and he knows what happened and as a northern Nigerian, he cannot ignore that group. I have spoken to almost all the Southeast governors and they told me that they remained in PDP because of their governorship elections and after their governorship elections, they will vote somewhere, not PDP.

    “And for us to ignore the stakeholders, it is political suicide, so we must agree with that fact. That was what we told Obasanjo yesterday, that as far as we want Atiku to succeed, he has no alternative than to drop Peter Obi and with the contention between Peter Obi’s group and Ike Ekweremadu’s group, it is not politically convenient again to pick a running mate from the Southeast.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.