Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Xenophobia: 5 Nigerians attacked in S/Africa again

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 21, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Scene of a xenophobic attack in South Africa
    Scene of a xenophobic attack in South Africa
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    south-africa-xenophobic-attacks
    south-africa-xenophobic-attacks

    The Nigeria Union in South Africa, on Tuesday said five Nigerians had been attacked in Polokwane, Limpopo Province of that country in renewed xenophobic attacks. Mr Collin Mgbo, Secretary of the Union in the Province, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on telephone from Polokwane that three of the five Nigerians attacked were in critical condition in the hospital.

    “I received a call that a Nigerian was attacked at Ivy Park in Polokwane on March 15. I got to the scene and saw that the Nigerian was almost dead, his house was looted and burnt,” he said. Mgbo said another Nigerian was also attacked in the same neighbourhood same day and that while he got to the scene, the mob left the wounded man and descended on him.

    “They left the wounded Nigerian and faced me. They destroyed my car and I managed to escape and ran to a police station,” he said. The secretary added that three Nigerians, including the owner of a mechanic’s garage, were attacked at Moledji, near Polokwane .

    “Their shops and houses were looted, vandalised and destroyed. The local chapter of the union has reported these attacks to the South African police, Nigerian mission and national secretariat of our union. “Our national secretariat is on top of the situation.
    As we speak, three Nigerians in the hospital are in critical condition and I do not know if they will survive because of the severity of the attack.” Mgbo urged the Federal Government to persuade its South African counterpart to ensure the safety of Nigerians in their country.

    When contacted on phone, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olusola Enikanolaye, said the ministry had not been briefed about the incident. He, however, promised to get back to NAN after inquiry from the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa.

    Similarly in February, property worth millions of dollars belonging to Nigerians were destroyed.

    The Federal Government later sent a delegation, led by Minister of Foreign Affairs Geoffry Onyeama and his Interior counterpart, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, to South Africa for discussion on curtailment of the attacks.(NAN)

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.