Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS

    Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS

    February 21, 2026
    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    February 21, 2026
    The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP), and African Democratic Congress (AD) are missing on the ballot papers for the Kano State House of Assembly by-election holding on Saturday, as reported by Arise News.

    PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS
    • Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending
    • PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election
    • FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses
    • FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent
    • FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit
    • Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units
    • Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    NIN: Nigerians flood MTN offices over blocking of lines

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJuly 29, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    NIN: Nigerians flood MTN offices over blocking of lines
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    MTN offices nationwide have been swarmed by angry customers whose SIMs were blocked despite having completed NIN registration and linkage.

    In the early hours of Monday, Nigerians flooded MTN offices across the country to demand the unblocking of their mobile lines.

    Several videos and pictures making the rounds on social media showed aggrieved customers queuing at the offices of the telecommunications giant.

    MTN offices at Festac, Ikeja, Lagos State, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Osogbo, Osun State, Warri, Delta State, among others, have been “besieged” by aggrieved customers.

    This follows after telecommunications companies in Nigeria started the last phase of disconnecting subscriber identity module numbers (telephone lines) that are not linked to national identification numbers.

    Two senior telco executives who were not authorised to talk publicly on the matter confirmed the situation on Sunday.

    The disconnection was originally set for April 15, 2024, but the Nigeria Communications Commission pushed it back to July 31, 2024, after carefully evaluating the many issues faced by subscribers and pleas for extensions.

    “This is not only about MTN; it’s an industry issue. The Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria will soon release a statement that will be shared very soon,” one of the officials said.

    The other source stated that the mandate came from the NCC, the industry regulator, and that several channels had been offered to make the procedure easier for users.

    “Subscribers are our customers; we cannot start disconnecting people’s lines. It’s important that these subscribers comply to link their lines with NIN,” the official stated.

    Adeolu Ogunbanjo, President of the National Association of Telecommunications Subscribers, was unavailable for comment after multiple calls.

    However, there are fears that telecoms did not wait until the July 31 deadline to cut phone lines.

    This has generated fury on social media, with other Nigerians sharing their experiences and complaints about X.

    Numerous individuals have stated that their SIM cards were prohibited despite completing the connection process, and they have provided proof of compliance.

    Bashir Ahmad, the Digital Communications Assistant to former President Muhammadu Buhari, tweeted, “It seems MTN has blocked hundreds of numbers from their network today. Many people around me have complained about losing service. Has anyone else experienced this issue?”

    Another X user, Kensola, expressed frustration, saying, “It’s still shocking to me that my MTN line will just be blocked temporarily for no just cause. I linked it with NIN for years now. What is the problem? Are we sure the state actors are not trying to stamp on dissenting voices? Let’s all be mindful!”

    In his reaction, John said, “As far as I know, the phone numbers that were blocked have different SIM registration and NIN details. And I remember that SMS was even sent to the affected phone lines, and public awareness was made on how to fix the problem, but the propagandists of doom are saying that the network providers are barring some telephone lines because of the planned protest.”

    The directive requiring telecom companies to prohibit SIM cards that are not linked to NINs is consistent with a similar rule from 2020.

    The Federal Government indicated that the decision was spurred by ongoing terrorist attacks, kidnappings, and banditry across the country during President Buhari’s final term.

    It was gathered that this final phase of disconnection targets subscribers with four SIM cards linked to a NIN number.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP), and African Democratic Congress (AD) are missing on the ballot papers for the Kano State House of Assembly by-election holding on Saturday, as reported by Arise News.

    PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    There was low voter turnout on Saturday morning at several polling units in the Abuja Municipal Area Council during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.

    Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS

    Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS

    February 21, 2026
    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    February 21, 2026
    The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP), and African Democratic Congress (AD) are missing on the ballot papers for the Kano State House of Assembly by-election holding on Saturday, as reported by Arise News.

    PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election

    February 21, 2026
    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.