Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigerians in Switzerland reject evacuation – Envoy

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 14, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    NiDCOM rejects proposal to tax Nigerians returning for Detty December
    Abike Dabiri-Erewa, chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Two Nigerians temporarily living in Switzerland have indicated that they desire to be evacuated to Nigeria amid the coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world.

    Ambassador Baba Madugu, Nigeria’s Ambassador to Switzerland disclosed this on Tuesday in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) correspondent in that country.

    It will be recalled that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs recently directed all its missions abroad to compile lists of willing nationals who wished to return home to Nigeria.

    That was sequel to the request by Nigerians stranded abroad in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, according to Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO of the Nigeria in the Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), who was quoted in a statement signed by Abdur-Rahman Balogun, Head, Media and Public Relations Unit of the commission in Abuja.

    According to Dabiri-Erewa, the interested Nigerians are advised to inform the missions in the various countries they are in, who will then collate and coordinate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

    The NIDCOM chairman urged Nigerians stranded abroad willing to return home to key into this Federal Government gesture by providing their information to the mission in their respective host countries.

    She said that while embassies in several countries were also on lockdown, those interested could also go online and fill a form provided on the commission’s website: Form101 – Nigerians in Diaspora Commission

    Madugu further told NAN that a female on internship in Zurich and a male, who had embarked on a brief visit to Geneva had contacted the embassy and expressed the willingness to be evacuated back home following the government’s lockdown order which has seen Swiss residents staying at home since March 16.

    • COVID-19: Nigeria to evacuate citizens abroad

    According to him, most Nigerians in the country are residents and do not fall under the category of those stranded in a foreign land.

    “That explains their unwillingness to be evacuated home as they are not in need of such measure,” he said.

    He also told NAN that there had been no reported cases of Nigerians who had tested positive for the coronavirus in Switzerland.

    The envoy appealed to the diaspora community to strictly adhere to the safety guidelines put in place by the Swiss authorities.

    NAN reports that Switzerland, recently recorded between 500 and 700 new cases, a development which raised the number of infections in the country to more than 25,000 with the number of deaths topping 1,000.

    These make the small Alpine nation one of the countries most affected by the pandemic to date.

    In response to the development, the Swiss government had extended the lockdown to April 26 and is expected on Thursday to announce new plans to ease restrictions introduced to counter the spread of the virus that originated in China and spread across the globe.

    (NAN)

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Court adjourns Natasha Akpoti’s suit against senate to March 25

    Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.