Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    • US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
    • Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria must not scare MTN away – Minister

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 23, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Nigeria’s Communication Minister has stated that MTN is important to the West African country

    Nigeria must not scare away MTN , its minister of communications said, as lawmakers investigate alleged illegal money transfers just three months after the government fined Africa’s biggest telecoms firm over $1 billion.

    The comments by Adebayo Shittu are the government’s first statement on the latest investigation into MTN, indicating the government does not want to see the South African company punished unduly in Nigeria, its biggest market, if the latest allegations prove to be true.

    “Nobody will say that MTN is not important to Nigeria – we must encourage them, we must not scare them away from Nigeria,” Shittu told Reuters in an interview, conducted on Friday.

    MTN, the largest mobile phone firm in Nigeria, threatened to pull out of the country last year during a dispute over unregistered SIM cards before the government agreed to reduce a settlement on the issue by nearly 70 percent to $1 billion.

    The company now faces another potentially hefty penalty if an investigation by Nigeria’s upper house of parliament finds evidence that MTN Group Ltd illegally transferred $13.9 billion out of the West African country between 2006 and 2016, as alleged.

    MTN has said it did not break Nigeria’s currency transfer rules.

    Minister of Communication, Adebayo Shittu

    “The presumption is that they are innocent and we pray they remain innocent,” Shittu said, referring to the investigation. “They must stay.”

    His comments are similar to comments he made when MTN was initially fined $5.2 billion in 2015 – equal to more than two years of its Nigerian profits – for failing to cut off unregistered SIM cards. The fine was reduced last June to 330 billion naira ($1.1 billion).

    Nigeria accounts for a third of MTN’s revenue.

    The crux of the allegation into illegal money transfers is that MTN did not obtain certificates declaring it had invested foreign currency in Nigeria within a 24-hour deadline stipulated in a 1995 law, and so the repatriation of returns on those investments was illegal.

    “They have a right to repatriate their profits as long as it is legitimately done,” said Shittu, adding that any time MTN is suspected of breaking the law it will be investigated, though the “facts against them must be established beyond reasonable doubt.”

    “Everyone who is in business will have ups and downs. You don’t throw away the baby with the bathwater.”

    Shittu said the investigation was an issue for financial regulators and did not fall within his “constitutional responsibility.” The government, however, can influence the size of the penalty, as in the case of the SIM card issue.

    Shittu also said Nigeria planned to build and launch two new satellites using a $550 million loan from the Export-Import Bank of China, which will cover 85 percent of the cost.

    Nigeria will finance the other 15 percent, with Shittu calling on domestic and foreign investors to take part in the funding.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    SERAP sues CBN over missing N3tn funds

    SERAP sues CBN over missing N3tn funds

    Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) headquarters

    NDA warns public over fake admission letters

    China grants Nigeria, 52 other African nations zero tariffs May 1

    China grants Nigeria, 52 other African nations zero tariffs May 1

    CBN raises cheque violations penalties to N10m per infraction

    CBN raises cheque violations penalties to N10m per infraction

    Argungu fishing festival opens with 59kg record catch

    Argungu fishing festival opens with 59kg record catch

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    February 15, 2026
    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.