Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Osasuna

    Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash

    February 21, 2026
    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    February 21, 2026
    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash
    • Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls
    • APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence
    • Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds
    • Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC
    • Burnley score late to snatch draw against Chelsea
    • Chelsea sign new sponsorship deal with AI firm IFS
    • Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria makes $160m, N8bn from whistle blowing

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 12, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed

    Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed says the Federal Government’s Whistle blowing policy has yielded $151 million and N8billion in looted funds.

    In a statement signed by Segun Adeyemi, the Special Assistant to the Minister, Alhaji Mohammed said the looted funds were recovered via the clues provided by three whistle blowers who gave actionable information to the office of the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation.

    The biggest amount of $136,676,600.51 was recovered from an account in a commercial bank, where the money was kept under an apparently fake account name.

    This was followed by the recovery of N7 billion and $15 million from another person and 1 billion naira from yet another.

    The recovered loots do not include the $9.2 million in cash allegedly owned by a former Group Managing Director of the NNPC, which was also a dividend of the whistle blower policy, All the monies recovered so far totalled over $160 million.

    “When we told Nigerians that there was a primitive and mindless looting of the national treasury under the last Administration, some people called us liars.

    “Well, the whistle-blower policy is barely two months old and Nigerians have started feeling its impact, seeing how a few people squirrelled away public funds.

    “It is doubtful if any economy in the world will not feel the impact of such mind-boggling looting of the treasury as was experienced in Nigeria.

    “Yet whatever has been recovered so far, including the $9.2 million by the EFCC, is just a tip of the iceberg,” Alhaji Mohammed said.

    He appealed to Nigerians with useful information on looted funds to continue to provide the authorities with such information, saying confidentiality will be maintained with regards to the source of the information.

    The Minister also reminded Nigerians of the financial reward aspect of the policy, saying ”If there is a voluntary return of stolen or concealed public funds or assets on the account of the information provided, the whistle blower may be entitled to anywhere between 2.5% (Minimum) and 5.0% (Maximum) of the total amount recovered”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers: Khana constituency 2 bye-election ends, results pending

    The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP), and African Democratic Congress (AD) are missing on the ballot papers for the Kano State House of Assembly by-election holding on Saturday, as reported by Arise News.

    PDP, NNPP, ADC missing on ballot papers of Kano by-election

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Osasuna

    Osasuna defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in thrilling La Liga clash

    February 21, 2026
    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    Obidient movement lament IREV glitch in FCT polls

    February 21, 2026
    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    APC demands cancellation of Kano by-election over violence

    February 21, 2026
    Malen scores twice in Aston Villa 2-1 win against Young Boys

    Aston Villa comeback to play 1-1 draw against Leeds

    February 21, 2026
    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    Rivers bye-election peaceful, orderly amid voter apathy – INEC REC

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.