Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria confident of resolving $10.1bn dispute with MTN

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 27, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    MTN pointed to signs of inflation and currency devaluation across several markets
    MTN sent SMS to customers informing them of USSD charges
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Nigeria is confident of resolving $10.1 billion dispute with MTN
    Nigeria is confident of resolving $10.1 billion dispute with MTN

    Nigeria is confident of resolving a $10.1 billion dispute with telecoms firm MTN and sending a positive signal to foreign investors worried about the country’s demand for the money, its trade and investment minister told Reuters.

    Nigeria’s central bank on August 29 ordered the South African firm and its lenders to bring $8.1 billion back into Nigeria that it alleges the company sent abroad in breach of foreign exchange regulations. MTN also faces a $2 billion tax demand from the country’s attorney general.

    MTN denies any wrongdoing.

    Okechukwu Enelamah, a former private equity executive, said the government was talking to all parties involved and aiming to resolve the disputes soon to boost investor confidence.

    “We have had discussions in government and we have engaged MTN. I’m sure that the issue would be resolved,” he said in an interview in the capital Abuja.

    “We want to deal with it … in a way that would be responsive to investors.”

    Enelamah said investors had welcomed the government’s feedback on the disputes after officials met fund managers on the sidelines of the United Nations summit in New York last month. He declined to give details.

    The case involving the central bank is due to be heard in a Lagos court on Oct. 30, while a hearing on the tax bill is scheduled at the same court on Nov. 8.

    READ: Minimum Wage: Ngige briefs Buhari, Osinbajo on looming labour strike

    MTN’s latest troubles come about two years after it agreed to pay more than $1 billion to settle a dispute over SIM cards in Nigeria, which has one of Africa’s largest economies but has struggled with weak growth and volatile global oil prices.

    MTN, Africa’s biggest telecoms firm, makes about a third of its annual core profit in Nigeria.

    Enelamah ran private equity firm African Capital Alliance (ACA) prior to his government role. While he was at ACA, the firm held investments in MTN.

    Central bank officials this month held talks with MTN and its lenders to discuss the repatriation demand.

    The bank has said it is looking to resolve the case and has requested information from MTN, which Enelamah said had been provided.

    Enelamah said Nigeria attracted between $6 billion and $7 billion from foreign investors last year, up from less than $3 billion in 2016.

    He added the country was on track to ratify agreements to join the African free trade area this year.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.