Police in Zimbabwe said 95 protesters were arrested on charges of causing “public violence” and “breaches of peace” after participating in Monday’s protests seeking President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s resignation.
Officers claim they identified the suspects through social media posts, a WhatsApp group, and on the scene in Harare.
The demonstrations drew very few participants, as citizens chose to stay away rather than take to the streets in the face of heavy security.
Blessed Geza, a chieftain of the ruling Zanu-PF party in Zimbabwe, called for the protests.
Geza, who advocates for Vice-President Constantine Chiwenga to succeed Mnangagwa, has criticised a faction of the party for extending the president’s second term beyond 2028.
Geza has previously urged Zimbabweans to “fill the streets” to force the president to step down.
Police in Zimbabwe have frequently been accused of employing violence to disperse protests.
Throughout the day Monday, numerous films were published on social media platforms. In one, police are seen using tear gas to disperse a mob assembled in Harare’s President Robert Mugabe Square.
In another, a lady describes the police’s efforts to quell what was deemed a “peaceful protest” as she promised, “We’re not going anywhere; we’re going to stay here.”
“I am 63, and life is tough… I am taking care of my grandchildren because my children cannot afford to,” a protester on crutches also told local media house Citizens Voice Network.
“We want General [Constantine] Chiwenga to take over,” she added.
The vice president has not responded publicly to calls to replace Mnangagwa, and government officials deny that the two men are at odds.
In response to Monday’s low attendance, Farai Murapira of the ruling Zanu-PF party stated that social media did not accurately reflect reality.
But political scientist Ibbo Mandaza said those who criticised the turnout were mistaken.
“The shutdown was a massive political statement,” he said.
Across many cities and towns, the bulk of businesses were closed, and streets were devoid of the typical bustle of street vendors and clogged traffic. Schools were cancelled, and public transport was scarce as scared people chose to avoid potential chaos.
The police increased security by erecting roadblocks into Harare and conducting daylong patrols on foot and in trucks through the city core. They were also spotted retrieving rocks and cement blocks thrown by protesters.
The country’s clergy has already urged people to remain calm, warning that unrest might undermine an already vulnerable country.
The latest protest centres on the president’s rumoured plan to extend his final term by two years, to 2030. Mnangagwa’s second term ends three years from now.
Despite the fact that Zimbabwe’s constitution limits presidential tenure to two five-year terms, his followers have adopted the slogan “2030: he will still be the leader”.
Despite the president’s latest pledge that he intends to step aside in three years, many remain skeptical.
This has infuriated Geza, a veteran of the 1970s liberation war and a senior Zanu-PF member who has launched a vitriolic attack on Mnangagwa.