Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Bandits attack customs facility, kill officer in Kebbi

    Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara

    November 29, 2025
    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    November 29, 2025
    Takumi Minamino (right) joined Monaco from Liverpool in June 2022

    10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara
    • Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria
    • 10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner
    • Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike
    • Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat
    • Barcelona get dominant 3-1 win against Alaves
    • Foden scores late winner as Man City beat Leeds
    • BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, November 30
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    US: Terrorist kills 15 in New Orleans New Year attack

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 2, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US, Three persons have been confirmed dead in the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A US Army veteran carrying an Islamic State flag and ‘hellbent’ on mayhem drove a pickup truck into a crowd of New Year’s revellers in New Orleans on Wednesday, killing at least 15 people and injuring scores, according to officials. 

    The perpetrator was identified by the FBI as Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a 42-year-old US citizen from Texas.

    He looked to be a Houston real estate agent who had previously served as an IT specialist in the military. Officials stated they were looking for accomplices but provided few specifics.

    Police Superintendent Anne Kirkpatrick identified Jabbar as a “terrorist,” and the FBI stated that “an ISIS flag was located in the vehicle,” referring to the Islamic State jihadist group.

    US President Joe Biden called the attack “despicable,” claiming Jabbar had put videos online hours before “indicating that he was inspired by ISIS.”

    Biden also stated that law enforcement agencies were looking into any possible links between the attack and the later Wednesday explosion of a Tesla Cybertruck outside a hotel owned by US President-elect Donald Trump in Las Vegas, which killed one person, though he cautioned that none had been discovered thus far.

    Officials said a manhunt was underway, and FBI agent Alethea Duncan warned that officials “do not believe Jabbar was solely responsible.”

    According to Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry, “We’re hunting some bad people down.”

    The FBI stated that it was carrying out search warrants in New Orleans “and other states.”

    Earlier, the bureau’s field office in Houston stated that it was carrying out “related” activities to the New Orleans incident.

    An FBI spokeswoman informed AFP that the attack killed 15 people, citing the New Orleans coroner’s office.

    Police said the incident occurred around 3:15 a.m. (0915 GMT) near Bourbon Street in the centre of the French Quarter, which was filled with revellers celebrating the start of 2025.

    The guy drove a white Ford F-150 electric pickup into a crowd of pedestrians before exiting and being slain in a gunfight with police, two of whom were injured.

    The FBI reported that two improvised devices had been discovered and neutralised.

    “This man was trying to run over as many people as he possibly could,” Kirkpatrick told reporters.

    “He was hellbent on creating the carnage and the damage that he did,” Kirkpatrick said, driving at “very high speed” and in a “very intentional” manner.

    According to the Pentagon, Jabbar served in the Army as a human resources and information technology specialist from 2007 to 2015 and then in the Army Reserve until 2020.

    He deployed to Afghanistan from February 2009 to January 2010, according to an army official.

    Biden stated that “thus far, there’s nothing” linking the New Orleans attack to the Las Vegas explosion, which police called an “isolated” event.

    The automobiles in both occasions were booked through Turo, a popular car-sharing app. The sheriff in Las Vegas said that was a “coincidence… that we have to continue to look into.”

    A spokeswoman for the app, which is used by millions of people in the United States, confirmed that they were collaborating with law enforcement.

    “We do not believe that either renter… had a criminal background that would have identified them as a security threat,” the spokesperson told AFP.

    In the early hours of the new year, revellers were celebrating in the French Quarter, a neighbourhood known for its clubs, restaurants, jazz history, and Mardi Gras parties.

    According to bystander Zion Parsons, the celebration devolved into a horrific spectacle.

    “The best way I can describe it is truly a war zone,” he told CNN. “There were bodies and blood and all the trash.”

    “People were terrified, running, screaming,” he said.

    Another eyewitness, Jimmy Cothran, told ABC that the mayhem was “insanity.”

    “We instantly counted, I’d say, 10 bodies—six clearly, graphically deceased, and the others yelling with no one around,” he said.

    New Orleans, one of the most popular tourist sites in the United States, will host the Super Bowl next month.

    The attack occurred just hours before the city was set to host the Sugar Bowl, a big college football game. It was postponed until Thursday.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Bandits attack customs facility, kill officer in Kebbi

    Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara

    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors

    BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Bandits attack customs facility, kill officer in Kebbi

    Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara

    November 29, 2025
    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    November 29, 2025
    Takumi Minamino (right) joined Monaco from Liverpool in June 2022

    10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner

    November 29, 2025
    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    November 29, 2025
    Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat

    Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.