Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Tinubu didn’t stop five-year visa for US citizens, says presidency

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJuly 10, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nigeria Immigration Service launches crackdown on foreign visa overstayers
    Nigeria entry visa
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The presidency has dismissed reports that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu revoked the issuance of five-year multiple-entry visas for United States citizens.

    A statement on Thursday by Bayo Onanuga, special adviser to the president on information and strategy, clarified that Nigeria has not withdrawn the long-term visa privileges previously extended to US nationals, contrary to viral reports on social media.

    The clarification follows a decision by the US government to reduce the validity period and number of entries for most non-immigrant, non-diplomatic visas issued to Nigerian citizens.

    In an announcement on Tuesday, the US embassy in Nigeria said the affected visa categories will now be limited to single-entry and a three-month validity period.

    Reacting to public concerns and speculation that Nigeria may have triggered the change through a policy shift, Onanuga said Tinubu’s administration has, since its inception, directed that Nigeria should adhere to all bilateral agreements and apply the principle of reciprocity in diplomatic engagements.

    Tinubu demands equity for developing nations at 17th BRICS summit
    President Bola Tinubu of Nigeria

    Onanuga said the US government’s claim of reciprocity as the reason for its current visa policy towards Nigeria does not accurately reflect the actual situation.

    • Stop underrating Tinubu, Ribadu warns opposition

    He said the Nigerian government has not deviated from granting US citizens a five-year multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, just as the US has continued to grant the same to Nigerians.

    “The ministry of foreign affairs and other senior government officials will continue to engage with the United States to address the unfavourable restrictions in a just and fair manner that reflects the mutual respect and partnership that so exist between our two friendly nations,” the statement reads.

    “The 90-day single-entry Visa validity period only applies to the newly introduced e-Visas, a short-term visa category for tourists and business people who may not wish to undergo the standard visa application process and wait.

    “The e-visa replaces the now obsolete Visa-on-arrival, which was inefficient and often used as a means of extortion. The e-visa is a fast, online process that does not require the applicant to go to the embassy. Applicants receive the e-Visa within 48 hours of submitting their application.

    “The e-visa policy aligns with President Tinubu’s efforts to boost investment, trade, and tourism in the country, as well as promote the ease of doing business for non-nationals. Moreover, e-visas are a widely adopted global policy in dozens of countries.

    “Although Nigeria has an e-visa policy for citizens of the US and several other countries, the US has not reciprocated this gesture for Nigerians.”

    Onanuga said the Tinubu administration remains committed to strengthening bilateral ties and resolving any lingering concerns through dialogue and diplomacy.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.