Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    February 19, 2026
    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    • Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest
    • Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident
    • US to withdraw all troops from Syria
    • Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nnamdi Kanu’s threats to break up Nigeria are real, not empty claims – FG

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJuly 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Court denies police bid to stop ‘Free Nnamdi KanuNow’ protest
    Nnamdi Kanu with his lawyers
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The federal government has insisted that the threats made by Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), to break up Nigeria are not casual or empty threats.

    During a court session at an Abuja federal high court on Friday, Adegboyega Awomolo, counsel to the federal government, prayed James Omotosho, presiding judge, to dismiss Kanu’s no-case submission and compel him to open his defence in the terrorism charges filed against him.

    Awomolo told the court that Kanu, in a broadcast on Biafra Radio, openly declared his intention to disintegrate Nigeria and establish a sovereign Biafra.

    He noted that the broadcast instilled fear and unrest among Nigerians, with severe consequences for the nation’s security.

    “The defendant made a broadcast. He proudly declared himself as IPOB leader even when he knew that IPOB had been proscribed. He made a broadcast that the world will come to a standstill,” Awomolo said.

    According to him, Kanu’s words had tangible effects shortly after the broadcast, allegedly leading to the killing of over 170 security agents. He also claimed Kanu directed his followers to target police officers and their families.

    “The law of Nigeria prohibits words capable of making Nigerians live in perpetual fear, threatening to bring Nigeria down. The aim is to create Biafra and not a mere boasting, and there are consequences for such boasting,” Awomolo argued.

    • Reject Kanu’s no-case submission, FG prays court

    The prosecution noted that Kanu’s broadcast posed a real and immediate threat to Nigeria’s unity and public safety, describing the no-case application as “misplaced and misconceived”.

    However, Kanu Agabi, the defendant’s lead counsel, challenged the prosecution’s position, arguing that the government had failed to establish a prima facie case against his client.

    Agabi noted that none of the five witnesses presented during the trial testified to being incited to violence by Kanu.

    He pointed out that all five were Department of State Services (DSS) operatives who merely obtained statements from the defendant.

    The senior advocate said no investigation whatsoever was carried out on Kanu’s statements, and no report of any investigation on terrorism allegations was made available to the court.

    He also criticised the multiple amendments made to the charge (eight amendments in total), stating that despite the repeated changes, no witness had come forward to claim they were influenced by Kanu’s words.

    Agabi contended that Kanu was simply urging people to “defend themselves” amid rising insecurity.

    He said that asking Nigerians to defend themselves is a constitutional right and has been re-echoed by other Nigerians, including T. Y. Danjuma, a retired general.

    He dismissed Kanu’s remark about bringing the world to a standstill as mere boasting, not a basis for terrorism charges.

    Agabi also faulted the prolonged solitary confinement of Kanu, claiming it violates international laws that prohibit solitary confinement beyond 15 days.

    Agabi urged the court to discharge and acquit Kanu, insisting the prosecution had failed to prove any element of terrorism.

    Omotosho adjourned the matter to October 10 for ruling on the no-case submission.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    February 19, 2026
    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.