Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Israel-Gaza ceasefire to begin Sunday

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 18, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Hamas kills Israeli hostage, injures others
    Palestinian militants carry a victim
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A ceasefire truce between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip will take effect at 0630 GMT on Sunday morning, Qatar, which helped mediate the deal, said on Saturday.

    “As coordinated by the parties to the agreement and the mediators, the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip will begin at 8:30 am on Sunday, January 19, local time in Gaza,” Qatar’s foreign ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said on X.”We advise the inhabitants to take precautions, exercise the utmost caution, and wait for directions from official sources.”

    The exact timing of the ceasefire’s start was unknown, but Israel, whose cabinet authorised the hostage and prisoner exchange deal earlier on Saturday, had stated that no captives would be released before 1400 GMT.

    Chronicle NG reports that the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claims a “deal to release the hostages” has been reached.

    Netanyahu had postponed a cabinet vote to endorse the Gaza ceasefire agreement, which was scheduled for Thursday, accusing Hamas of seeking last-minute revisions to the arrangement.

    On Friday morning, the prime minister’s office said that the negotiating team had informed him that the deal had been agreed upon.

    The security cabinet will meet later on Friday to finalise the accord before seeking approval from the full government. Families of the captives have been notified.

    Representatives from Israel, Hamas, the United States, and Qatar signed the agreement in Doha, according to Israeli media sources.

    The cease-fire agreement was first announced on Wednesday by mediators from the United States and Qatar.

    Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdul Rahman Al Thani stated that the agreement would go into force on Sunday, pending Israeli cabinet approval.

    At the time, Netanyahu stated that the deal’s exact details were still being worked out but praised Biden for “promoting” it.

    Hamas stated that it was committed to the arrangement, but the BBC believes that it was attempting to add some of its members to the list of Palestinian inmates who would be released under the agreement.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.