Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    February 19, 2026
    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans
    • NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs
    • Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64
    • Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Hunger Protest: Police begin trial of 1,135 arrested protesters

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoAugust 12, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Hunger Protest: Police begin trial of 1,135 arrested protesters
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Numerous state police commands in the north have begun prosecuting arrested demonstrators who too part in the 10-day #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria nationwide protest. 

    While the protests were mostly peaceful in the South, they became violent in the North, with numerous lives lost and property worth billions of naira destroyed, prompting the implementation of a curfew in no fewer than five states.

    The protests, which took place from August 1 to 10, were in response to the growing cost of living, which has been fuelled by the withdrawal of gasoline subsidies, 28-year-high inflation, and government economic policies that have pushed the naira to a record low versus the dollar.

    On the first day of the protest, at least 17 people were reportedly killed in Abuja, Kano, Niger, Borno, Kaduna, and Jigawa, with several others injured.

    Amnesty International condemned the use of lethal force against protesters and accused security forces of killing at least 21 protesters.

    Police arrested demonstrators, some of whom flew the Russian flag, in Kano, Kaduna, Gombe, Katsina, Yobe, Bauchi, Borno, and Jigawa when the demonstrations became violent, and said that they would be punished.

    According to our correspondents, at least 1,135 people arrested during the rally will be charged in court starting Monday (today).

    On Sunday, the Yobe State Command announced that 108 people had been arrested for a variety of charges, including breaching the curfew enforced during the hunger strike.

    DSP Dungus Abdulkarim, Police Public Relations Officer, Yobe Command, indicated that the seized individuals would be sent to court to face charges stemming from their alleged involvement in the protests.

    Many of the accused, who were first arraigned on August 8, disputed the charges against them, paving the way for further court hearings on Monday (today), Abdulkarim said.

    “Monday, August 12, 2024, has been earmarked for the continuation of the case, where those facing charges will have the opportunity to either accept or contest the allegations.

    “Should they choose to accept the charges, they will undergo a summary trial presided over by a judge at the Magistrate Court in Damaturu, Yobe State.”

    In Kano, 632 people detained for allegedly destroying properties during the state’s anti-hunger rally and remanded by a Kano State Mobile Court since last Tuesday will appear in court on August 19.

    Several governmental and commercial facilities, including the Kano State Printing Press, Nigerian Communications Commission, Kano State High Court, and several vehicles parked on the premises, were vandalised and looted.

    Barakat Stores, a popular supermarket in the city, was one of the worst hit, with a reported loss of nearly N5 billion to hoodlums.

    The arrestees were accused of criminal conspiracy, stealing, unlawful assembly, inciting disturbance, trespassing, and mischief by fire.

    Three top judicial officers presided over a mobile court at the Kano Police Command Headquarters in Bompai: top magistrate Ibrahim Yola, senior magistrate Hadiza Bello, and chief magistrate Abba Dandago.

    Following the remand order, the court adjourned until August 19 for a hearing.

    Earlier, the state’s Director of Public Prosecution, Salisu Tahir, informed the court that the defendants committed the alleged charges on August 1, the protest’s first day.

    He said that on the same day, the defendants trespassed and vandalised state government and public property while protesting.

    “The defendants broke into people’s shops and looted their goods,” the DPP told the court.

    The prosecution stated that the offences violated sections 97, 287, 229, 336, 349, and 247 of the Penal Code. Some of the offenders pleaded guilty, but others pleaded not guilty to the accusation.

    After the court session, Haruna Dederi, the state attorney general and commissioner of justice, told journalists that the state government set up three mobile courts on the grounds of the state police command to prosecute the defendants due to their high number.

    On Saturday 14, a special court presided over by Gombe State Chief Judge Justice Halima Mohammed released 14 protesters out of 111 suspects arrested.

    The freed protestors, who were charged with unlawful assembly and other charges, were initially arraigned at the Gombe Medium Custodial Centre on Friday but were released due to bad health and being underage.

    Saidu Muazu-Kumo, the defence counsel, confirmed this to one of our correspondents on Sunday.

    Muazu-Kumo indicated that the 97 others who remain in detention will appear in court on Tuesday and Thursday.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    February 19, 2026
    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    February 19, 2026
    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    February 19, 2026
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.