Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86

    November 29, 2025
    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    November 29, 2025
    Obasanjo says El-Rufai needed to mature before leading Nigeria

    Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86
    • Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes
    • Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists
    • Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee
    • Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals
    • Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis
    • Russia threatens to ban WhatsApp
    • Tems reveals surprising career path she considered before music
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Hamas likely carried out sexual violence in Israel during attack -UN

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMarch 5, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Hamas kills Israeli hostage, injures others
    Palestinian militants carry a victim
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A UN team discovered that there are “reasonable grounds to believe” sexual violence, including rape and gang rape, occurred during the Hamas strikes in Israel on October 7.

    They also stated that there was “convincing information” that hostages had been sexually abused.

    Pramila Patten, the United Nations Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, oversaw the trip.

    Hamas has denied that its fighters sexually abused women during the attacks.

    “The mission team found that there are reasonable grounds to believe that conflict-related sexual violence occurred in multiple locations during the 7 October attacks,” the UN report said.

    These occurred in at least three locations: the Nova music festival and its surrounds, Road 232, and Kibbutz Re’im, according to the statement.

    On October 7, Hamas terrorists stormed southern Israel, killing around 1,200 people and taking 253 others captive.

    • Israel-Hamas War: US, UK impose new sanctions on militants

    Israel replied by beginning a military campaign in Gaza, which has killed 30,500 people, according to Hamas’ health ministry.

    Reports of sexual violence perpetrated by Hamas, which is designated as a terrorist organization by Israel, the United Kingdom, and others, began to emerge shortly after October 7 and have progressively increased since.

    According to the report, the UN said it had “found clear and convincing information that sexual violence, including rape, sexualized torture, and cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment, has been committed against hostages.”.

    It also stated that it “has reasonable grounds to believe that such violence may be ongoing against those still held in captivity.”.
    The UN team was in Israel from January 29 to February 14.

    According to the UN, the mission, which included Ms. Patten and nine specialists, was supposed to gather and verify complaints rather than conduct an investigation.

    It went on to say that 33 meetings were held with Israeli personnel and that over 5,000 photographic images and 50 hours of video footage were studied.
    The report stated that “despite concerted efforts to encourage” victims to come forward, the team was unable to interview any of them.

    Some charges of rape and sexual violence could not be substantiated or were “unfounded,” according to the study, including the widely publicized example of a pregnant lady whose womb was allegedly torn apart and her fetus stabbed.

    It also stated that it had been unable to identify a clear pattern of genital mutilation.

    After October 7, the UN team claimed it received reports of sexual abuse against Palestinian men and women in detention facilities, house raids, and at checkpoints.

    Israel has dismissed similar charges made earlier by an independent UN commission as “despicable and unfounded.”.

    Meanwhile, Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz has accused the UN of attempting to “keep quiet the serious UN report.”.

    He chastised UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres for failing to convene the Security Council to consider the findings and label Hamas a terrorist group.

    UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric stated that Mr. Guterres “has fully supported” Ms. Patten’s efforts during her visit to Israel.

    “In no way, shape, or form did the secretary-general do anything to keep the report ‘quiet.’ The report is being presented publicly today,” Mr. Dujarric said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Obasanjo says El-Rufai needed to mature before leading Nigeria

    Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Prof. Yemi Osinbajo speaking at The Hague’s Peace Palace on people-centred justice during HiiL’s Why Justice Matters event

    Osinbajo demands national strategy to address IDP crisis

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86

    November 29, 2025
    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    November 29, 2025
    Obasanjo says El-Rufai needed to mature before leading Nigeria

    Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists

    November 29, 2025
    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee

    November 29, 2025
    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    Court reserves judgment in Akpabio, Natasha’s appeals

    November 28, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.