Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    May 18, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail
    • Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher
    • Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return
    • Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica
    • Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigerian govt offers N62,000 minimum wage, labour demands N250,000

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJune 8, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    NLC President Joe Ajaero speaking on workers’ welfare during Easter message
    Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government of Nigeria has increased its offer of a new national minimum wage to N62,000, while organised labour has reduced its demand from N494,000 to N250,000.

    This comes after the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, submitted the cost implication of minimum wage to President Bola Tinubu.

    A source confirmed this to newsmen on Friday in Abuja.

    “After wasting our time, they finally came up with the offer of N62,000 which was backed by the private sector. Labour also reduced ours to N250,000. This is embarrassing,” the source who is part of negotiation from the labour side said.

    Chronicle NG reported that Tinubu had earlier directed Edun to present the cost implications for a new minimum wage within two days.

    • Governors reject N60,000 minimum wage proposal, say it is not sustainable

    The President gave the order at a meeting with the government negotiation team led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

    Though Edun has submitted the proposal to the president, it has not been made public.

    Recall that organised labour, comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress, had embarked on a nationwide strike on Monday to demand an increased minimum wage for workers and the reversal of the recently increased electricity tariffs.

    However, the labour union leadership suspended the strike on Tuesday for five days after signing a commitment with the Federal Government to resume negotiations and come up with a new minimum wage within a week.

    It is not yet clear if labour will accept the new proposal from the government.

    The Nigerian Governors Forum had, earlier on Friday, said any minimum wage above N60,000 will not be sustainable.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    May 18, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    May 18, 2026
    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    May 18, 2026
    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.