Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    February 17, 2026
    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    February 17, 2026
    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    • Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill
    • 100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support
    • Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue
    • House of Reps row over electoral act amendment bill
    • Saka extends Arsenal stay with fresh five-year contract
    • Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Emefiele challenges forfeiture of 753-unit estate in Appeal Court

    David GreatBy David GreatMay 28, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    EFCC witness admits banks hoarded cash during Emefiele’s naira redesign
    Former CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele sandwiched by EFCC operatives in court
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Godwin Emefiele, has filed an appeal before the Court of Appeal in Abuja, contesting a judgment that handed over full ownership of a 753-unit housing estate in Abuja to the federal government.

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had earlier secured a court order for the final forfeiture of the estate, located in the Lokogoma area of the Federal Capital Territory. While the property was initially associated with an unnamed former public official, Emefiele—through his counsel, A.M. Kotoye—insists he has an interest in the estate and should have been included in the forfeiture proceedings.

    “I was unaware of the forfeiture,” Emefiele told the appellate court.

    He argued that the EFCC failed to notify him properly, claiming the agency published the interim forfeiture notice in a scarcely visible section of a newspaper, making it difficult to discover.

    Additionally, Emefiele noted that he was preoccupied with managing three concurrent criminal cases in Abuja and Lagos at the time, which further impaired his ability to respond promptly to the notice. He alleged that despite ongoing legal interactions, the EFCC failed to disclose the forfeiture proceedings to him deliberately.

    • EFCC hands over 753 Abuja duplexes forfeited by Emefiele to housing ministry

    However, the trial court rejected his submission, ruling that the anti-graft agency had adhered to due process and that the newspaper publication met the legal requirements for notification.

    The judge maintained that the notice “could not reasonably be described as hidden.”

    Unhappy with the outcome, Emefiele filed a notice of appeal on April 30, 2025. He is asking the Court of Appeal to reverse the trial court’s judgment delivered on April 28, 2025, and to nullify both the interim and final forfeiture orders dated November 1 and December 2, 2024, respectively. He also seeks approval for an application he submitted on January 28, 2025.

    In his appeal, Emefiele claims the lower court misjudged his application and dismissed it without giving due attention to critical facts. He said the forfeiture orders were based on “hearsay, suspicion, and no proper evidence.”

    He further maintained that he has both legal and equitable interests in the estate, contrary to the trial court’s finding that he failed to prove ownership.

    “The entire ruling is a miscarriage of justice,” he stated.

    He added, “The failure of the trial judge to properly evaluate the affidavit and documents before him is perverse and has caused a miscarriage of justice.

    “The orders were made in breach of the 1999 Constitution and are therefore null and void.”

    Meanwhile, Emefiele’s legal team has written to the Minister of Housing, urging the suspension of any move to sell the estate pending the outcome of the appeal.

    “We are aware that the properties may soon be sold to the public. We have already served the EFCC with a notice of appeal and an injunction,” the letter noted.

    The federal government had earlier announced plans to auction the estate to low- and middle-income earners as part of its housing initiative.

     

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    Kwara: No fewer than nine worshipers were abducted on Sunday by Terrorists during a vigil at St. John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

    Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue

    Reps row over electoral act amendment bill

    House of Reps row over electoral act amendment bill

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    February 17, 2026
    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    February 17, 2026
    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    February 17, 2026
    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    February 17, 2026
    Kwara: No fewer than nine worshipers were abducted on Sunday by Terrorists during a vigil at St. John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

    Terrorists abduct six travelers in Benue

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.