Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court denies Naomi Shilekunola, two others bail over Oyo funfair stampede

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 8, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    An Oyo State High Court on Monday granted bail to an ex-queen of the Ooni of Ife, Naomi Silekunola.
    Prophetess Naomi Silekunola
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Governor Seyi Makinde-led Oyo State Government, on Tuesday, urged the state high court in Ibadan not to grant bail to the ex-queen of Ooni of Ife, Naomi Shilekunola; Hamzat Oriyomi; and a school principal, Fasasi Abdullahi.

    The court had on December 24 remanded the defendants in prison over the death of 35 children during a Christmas funfair they organised in Ibadan, which resulted in a fatal stampede.

    The defendants spent both Christmas and New Year’s Day at the Nigerian Correctional Services facility in Agodi.

    During Tuesday’s hearing at High Court 8, Ring Road, Ibadan, the defence counsel urged the court to admit them to bail, but the Oyo State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Abiodun Aikomo, opposed the bail requests, claiming that the applicants had not demonstrated sufficient grounds for their release.

    “The bail request of the applicants must not be granted by the court,” Aikomo stated. He also countered claims of persecution by the state government, describing them as unfounded.

    Previously, the defence counsel claimed that their clients’ detention was unlawful, citing procedural errors and questioning the court’s jurisdiction.

    They argued that the “holding charge” used to remand the accused did not comply with Nigeria’s Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

    Waheed Olajide, representing Fasasi Abdulahi, principal of Islamic High School Basorun, contended that the arrest was unjustified.

    “No formal charge is preferred against the applicant before any court of competent jurisdiction,” Olajide said.

    He further emphasised Abdulahi’s poor health condition, stating, “The law makes provision for exceptional circumstances, which include ill health, upon which the suspects can be released on bail. The applicant is battling with his health and needs to be taken care of medically.”

    Silekunola’s lawyer, Musibau Adetunmbi (SAN), described her continued detention as unconstitutional.

    “Anybody can be detained, but it must be in accordance with the law, irrespective of the offences committed,” he argued. “The applicants are being held in detention pursuant to a holding charge that is not known in the criminal administration of justice.

    “Oyo State Government has acted illegally with the continuing detention of the suspects in the prison custody. All the evidence presented by the defence counsel to buttress their case is zero.”

    Hazmat’s lawyer, Adekunle Sobaloju (SAN), similarly argued that the detention violated constitutional provisions.

    “The holding charge used to clamp the suspects in the prison custody is not known in the criminal administration of justice,” Sobaloju argued.

    Justice K.B. Olawoyin, after listening to submissions from both sides, adjourned the ruling on the bail applications till Monday, January 13, 2025.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    Frank Edoho, ex-wife fight dirty over infidelity, divorce

    Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.