Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    November 29, 2025
    Takumi Minamino (right) joined Monaco from Liverpool in June 2022

    10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner

    November 29, 2025
    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria
    • 10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner
    • Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike
    • Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat
    • Barcelona get dominant 3-1 win against Alaves
    • Foden scores late winner as Man City beat Leeds
    • BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors
    • DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Biden won’t pull out from presidential race — Spokesperson

    MayorBy MayorJuly 4, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Biden begins radiation treatment for ‘aggressive’ prostate cancer
    Former US President Joe Biden
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    President Joe Biden is “absolutely not” pulling out of the US presidential race, his spokeswoman said Wednesday, as pressure mounted following his disastrous debate performance against Donald Trump.

    Panic has gripped his Democratic Party in the wake of last week’s TV debate, and internal rumblings about finding a replacement candidate before November’s election have been amplified by polls showing Trump extending his lead.The New York Times and CNN reported that Biden, 81, had acknowledged to a key ally that his reelection bid was on the line if he failed to quickly reassure the public that he was still up to the job.

    White House spokeswoman Karine Jean-Pierre rejected those reports outright, insisting Biden has no intention of withdrawing.

    “The president is clear-eyed and he is staying in the race,” she told reporters.

    Biden told a call with campaign and party staffers that he is going nowhere.

    • Biden confident of defeating Trump

    “I’m in this race to the end and we’re going to win because when Democrats unite, we will always win. Just as we beat Donald Trump in 2020, we’re going to beat him again in 2024,” he said, according to a source close to the campaign.

    He repeated that message in an emergency meeting with Democratic governors, who pledged their continued support, attendees said afterward.

    “As the president continued to tell us, and show us, that he was all in… we said that we would stand with him,” Maryland Governor Wes Moore, seen as a rising star and potential future presidential candidate, told reporters alongside Minnesota’s Tim Walz and Kathy Hochul of New York.

    Walz said Biden was “fit to serve.”

    Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, who also attended the meeting at the White House and is seen as one of the top picks to replace Biden if he should drop out, said on social media platform X that “he is in it to win it and I support him.”

    Biden has admitted he performed poorly in the debate, and was blunt in a radio interview recorded Wednesday with Wisconsin’s Civic Media.

    “I screwed up. I made a mistake. That’s 90 minutes on stage. Look at what I’ve done in 3.5 years,” he said.

    The Biden campaign has been desperate to reassure Democratic donors and voters that the president’s performance against Trump was a one-off.

    But party figures have voiced bafflement over what they see as deflection and excuses from the president and his aides.

    Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings, one of the Democratic Party’s biggest donors, told the New York Times that Biden should withdraw.

    “Biden needs to step aside to allow a vigorous Democratic leader to beat Trump and keep us safe and prosperous,” he said in an email to the paper.

    The concern was compounded by a New York Times poll conducted after the debate that showed Trump with his biggest lead ever over Biden — 49 percent to 43 percent of likely voters.

    It wasn’t until Wednesday — six days after the debate — that Biden completed a round of calls with Democratic congressional leaders, and staffers have also voiced consternation over the glacial pace of the outreach.

    “We are getting to the point where it may not have been the debate that did him in, but the aftermath of how they’ve handled it,” a senior Democratic operative told Washington political outlet Axios.

    Biden may be tested on his ability to think on his feet when he sits with ABC News on Friday for his first television interview since the debate, and he will also hit the swing states of Wisconsin and Pennsylvania in the coming days.

    The president has cited fatigue as a new explanation for his poor debate showing, saying that he was unwise to travel “around the world a couple times” before the debate.

    But he had been back in the United States for nearly two weeks and spent two days relaxing and six days preparing before the debate.

    Democratic lawmakers have begun to go public with their doubts. Arizona congressman Raul Grijalva became the second sitting Democrat to call on Biden to drop out.

    “If he’s the candidate, I’m going to support him, but I think that this is an opportunity to look elsewhere,” Grijalva said, according to the Times.

    In the street where the president grew up in Scranton, Pennsylvania, there was sympathy for Biden — but no campaign signs for either candidate.

    “I was embarrassed for him. I felt he didn’t feel well and he probably shouldn’t have gone on the stage,” said 73-year-old Jamie Hayes.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors

    BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    November 29, 2025
    Takumi Minamino (right) joined Monaco from Liverpool in June 2022

    10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner

    November 29, 2025
    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    November 29, 2025
    Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat

    Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat

    November 29, 2025
    Barcelona

    Barcelona get dominant 3-1 win against Alaves

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.