Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    • JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna
    • Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja
    • Pereira: Nigerian athlete killed in US days before MBA graduation
    • EFCC will discipline officers over UUTH raid – Olukoyede
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Anambra stampede death toll rises to 22

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 22, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Imo State
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The death toll from the stampede in Anambra State has risen to 22, the local authorities said on Sunday.

    Spokesman for the Anambra State Police Command, Tochukwu Ikenga, said the police have commenced an investigation into the incident.

    Ikenga, a Superintendent of Police, said those who sustained injuries are receiving medical treatment.

    “The commissioner of police, Nnaghe Obono Itam, visited the hospital where the victims of the tragic stampede that occurred on 21/12/2024 in Okija, Ihiala local government area, are receiving treatment and regrettably stated that twenty-two people lost their lives,” Ikenga said.

    “The CP commiserates with family and friends of the deceased and wishes the injured a quick recovery.”

    • Stampedes: Police ban unauthorised distribution of palliatives, funfairs

    The stampede took place on Saturday during a rice distribution event at Amaranta stadium in Ojika, Ihiala LGA. The event was organised by Obijackson Foundation.

    Anambra stampede is not the first to happen of recent as the nation has previously recorded deaths from Abuja and Oyo stampedes in December.

    Shortly before the Anambra incident, another stampede occurred at the Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Maitama, Abuja, claiming the lives of 10 persons.

    Only a few days ago, a similar incident had occurred in Ibadan, Oyo State, where a stampede at a children’s funfair resulted in the deaths of at least 35 children and left six others critically injured.

    As a result, many Nigerians including former vice president Atiku Abubakar and the presidential candidate in the 2023 election, Labour Party (LP) have called for better crowd management during large-scale events owing to the multiple stampedes in two food distribution programmes.

    “It is with a heavy heart and deep sorrow that I receive yet again the heartbreaking news of lives lost in tragic stampedes, this time in Okija, Anambra, and Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, resulting in the untimely passing of many,” Atiku wrote in a post on his X handle late Saturday.

    “It is imperative that those entrusted with the organization of such large-scale events take the utmost care in crowd management, prioritizing the safety and well-being of all participants,” he said.

    Obi said the incidents underline the rising hunger in the country which has led to desperation.

    “I am deeply saddened and distressed by the tragic loss of lives in desperate searches for food,” Obi, who is a former governor of Anambra State, wrote in a post on his X account Saturday afternoon.

    “While I will not cast blame, but instead appreciate the organizers of these respective events for their kind gestures in providing palliatives and support to society, especially the poor, these tragedies reflect the systemic failures that plague our society,” he said.

    “The desperate quest for survival in these harsh economic times has driven our people to extremes in their search for food, often at the cost of their lives.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    Godwin

    Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    May 19, 2026
    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    May 19, 2026
    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.