Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    • 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    N650m: EFCC rejects Akinjide’s out-of-court settlement

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 23, 2018No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Oloye Jumoke Akinjide, former FCT minister has returned N650m to EFCC
    Oloye Jumoke Akinjide, former FCT minister has returned N650m to EFCC
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Oloye Jumoke Akinjide, former FCT minister has returned N650m to EFCC

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has rejected an offer for an out-of-court settlement on N650 million fraud by a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Jumoke Akinjide.

    EFCC told a Federal High Court in Lagos that it was turning down the offer.

     

    Akinjide was charged along with former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, who is said to be at large, a former Senator, Ayo Adeseun and a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) stalwart, Chief Olarenwaju Otiti.

    They were accused of conspiring to directly take possession of N650 million which they reasonably ought to have known formed part of the proceeds of an unlawful act and without going through a financial institution.

    Justice Muslim Hassan had adjourned at the last proceedings to enable both parties to conclude the settlement talks with EFCC after Akinjide’s lawyer, Chief Bolaji Ayorinde (SAN) reported that the N650 million had been returned.

    READ: Buhari ready to speak to Nigerians on second term

    On Thursday, EFCC’s lawyer, Mr Nnaemeka Omenwa, who stood in for the lead prosecutor, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, said he was instructed to turn down the proposal for out-of-court settlement.

    Acting EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu has refused to settle out of court with former FCT Minister, Jumoke Akinjide

    “I have instruction to reject the proposal as it is not in line with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA).

    “Based on that, we are ready to go on with the trial subject to your Lordship’s overriding convenience,” he said.

    But defence counsel, Ayorinde and Michael Lana (second defence counsel), said EFCC’s lead counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, breached their agreement.

    Ayorinde said the defendants made a proposal to the prosecution in line with Section 14 of the EFCC Act.

    “For the purposes of your Lordship’s record and because of the public interest that this case seems to unnecessarily attract, our proposal was made in accordance with established laws and there is no fixation on Section 270 of the ACJA.

    “We are very confident that this case is a sham and we will defend it vigorously; it is political and we will show that it’s unnecessary and a waste of time and resources of the court,” Ayorinde said.

    Lana also accused EFCC of breaching an agreement reached by both parties with regards to the settlement, saying it amounted to a “betrayal”.

    But Omenwa denied that the case was politically motivated, adding that the allegations against Oyedepo were false.

    “The EFCC is not a political party. We are an independent organisation and we are not out to witch-hunt anybody.

    “There is no documentary evidence that they had any such agreement with Oyedepo that they should withdraw their suit. There is no evidence before My Lord,” he said.

    In a short ruling, Justice Hassan said since settlement talks have “broken down,” EFCC was at liberty to call its first witness.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that trial began immediately with Omenwa calling the first witness, a banker, Mr Kehinde Adeniyi, who said she is the Head of Customer Relations at her bank’s branch in Dugbe, Ibadan.

    She said she knew Akinjide and Adeseun.

    Asked to narrate her connection with them, she said: “On March 26, she received a call from their Head of Operations that we should pay the sum of N650 million to Akinjide, Adeseun and Honourable Taiwo Yinka once they produce two means of identification and sign a receipt of payment.”

    She said that they came, signed, and the payment was made in naira and the receipt of the payment was tendered in evidence.

    The witness said under cross-examination by Chief Ayorinde that she made three statements at the EFCC which were also tendered in evidence.

    Adeniyi said she merely carried out the instructions she was given, and that she did not know the source of the funds.

    She added that she knew Mrs Alison-Madueke but that she did not know how the money was used.

    Justice Hassan adjourned until March 8 and March 9 for continuation of trial.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.