Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    MSF worker dies of coronavirus in Nigeria

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 20, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    NCDC DG, Chikwe Ihekweazu providing COVID-19 updates coronavirus
    NCDC DG, Chikwe Ihekweazu providing COVID-19 updates
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    An aid worker employed by humanitarian agency Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) died in Borno after contracting coronavirus, a spokesman for the organisation said on Sunday.

    Borno is at the epicentre of one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, spawned by a decade-long Islamist militant insurgency that has left 7 million people in need of aid.

    The death of an aid worker in a part of Africa’s most populous country where camps house many of the roughly two million people displaced by the insurgency will prompt fears of the highly infectious lung disease spreading quickly among malnourished people, many of whom suffer from other diseases.

    An MSF spokesman confirmed the death of one of the aid agency’s workers but did not provide further details. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) late on Sunday said it had recorded a cumulative total of 627 confirmed cases and 21 deaths – including one in Borno. No further details were given.

    The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, in a statement earlier on Sunday said camps for displaced people needed to be decongested due to the pandemic and a number of fires in the last few days.

    “With the COVID-19 pandemic slowly spreading across the country, I am extremely worried about the 1.8 million IDPs (internally displaced people),” he said. “Camp decongestion has been a challenge, but it is now a priority,” he added.

    • Nigeria records 86 new coronavirus cases

    Kallon said the United Nations and international aid organisations were working to expand the camps. He said half of the camps in Borno are currently overcrowded with nearly 700,000 displaced people living in cramped conditions.

    Africa has seen more than 17,000 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 disease and around 1,000 deaths so far – relatively few compared to some other regions.

    But there are fears numbers could balloon within weeks, particularly in areas with poor sanitation facilities, and overwhelm already stretched health services.

    Last week a regional World Health Organization official said coronavirus cases in the world’s poorest continent could shoot up from thousands now to 10 million within three to six months according to provisional modelling.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.