Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Meta to face medical privacy lawsuit

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedSeptember 8, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    FCCPC: Meta threatens to shut down operations in Nigeria over $290m fine
    Meta threatens to shut down operations in Nigeria over $290m
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A US federal judge ruled that Meta Platforms must defend itself against claims that it violated the medical privacy of patients who received care from hospitals and other healthcare facilities using its Facebook Pixel tracking tool.

    US District Judge William Orrick in San Francisco said the plaintiffs could pursue claims that Facebook violated a federal wiretap law and a California privacy law and violated its own contractual promises governing user privacy on Facebook.

    In a 26-page decision on Thursday, the judge said the case, based on the evidence so far, “does not negate the plausible allegations that sensitive healthcare information is intentionally captured and transmitted to Meta.”

    Orrick dismissed some other claims but said the plaintiffs, all using John Doe or Jane Doe pseudonyms, could try to replead them.

    According to the plaintiffs, Facebook Pixel provided sensitive information about their health to Meta when they logged into patient portals, where the tracking tool had been installed, enabling Facebook to make money from targeted advertising.

    The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for all Facebook users whose health information was obtained by Meta.

    Neither Meta nor lawyers for the Menlo Park, California-based company responded on Friday to requests for immediate comment. Lawyers for the plaintiffs did not immediately respond to similar requests.

    • Meta to end Facebook news in UK, France and Germany

    When the litigation began in June 2020, lawyers for one plaintiff said they had found at least 664 hospitals and other healthcare providers that used Meta Pixel.

    In seeking a dismissal, Facebook said it “does not disagree” that sending sensitive health information could be a serious problem.

    But it also said there was nothing inherently harmful or unlawful about its technology and that it was up to the healthcare providers to decide how to use Facebook Pixel.

    Orrick, however, said it was not clear whether Facebook did enough to stop the transmission of patient details or might be excused because healthcare providers actually consented to it.

    He also found “detailed and plausible allegations” that transmitting such information was necessary for Facebook’s advertising services.

    The case is In re Meta Pixel Healthcare Litigation, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, No. 22-03580.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe

    ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe

    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Lassa fever kills 31 as NCDC confirms 165 cases

    Lassa fever kills 31 as NCDC confirms 165 cases

    Sachet alcohol ban: Senate orders NAFDAC to end production by Dec 31

    NAFDAC denies FG order to halt sachet alcohol ban

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.