Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses
    • FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent
    • FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit
    • Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units
    • Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion
    • Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim
    • LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos
    • Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Mendy found not guilty of one count of rape

    David GreatBy David GreatSeptember 13, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Benjamin Mendy wins legal battle against Man City over unpaid wages
    Mendy joined City from Monaco in 2017
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of one count of rape on the direction of the judge at his trial.

    Mr Mendy, 28, was cleared at Chester Crown Court of the rape of a 19-year-old woman at his home in Prestbury, Cheshire, on 24 July last year.

    Co-accused Louis Saha Matturie, 41, was also found not guilty of two counts of rape against the same woman.

    They remain on trial for alleged sexual offences which they both deny.

    Mr Matturie, of Eccles, Salford, was also cleared of one count of sexual assault against the same woman.

    On Tuesday Judge Stephen Everett ordered the jury to clear the defendants of those counts after the prosecution offered no further evidence and formal not guilty counts were entered.

    He had warned jurors not to speculate as to why the prosecution had decided not to pursue guilty verdicts and to continue to “faithfully” try the defendants on the multiple charges they still face.

    Louis Saha Matturie arriving at Chester Crown Court on 30 August 2022
    Louis Saha Matturie, 41, denies six counts of rape and three counts of sexual assault
    Earlier the jury were told of a private video of the woman having “enthusiastic sex” with Mr Matturie when she claimed she had been raped.
    • Man City footballer Mendy denies another rape charge

    The hearing was adjourned and when court resumed, prosecutors told the court they were no longer seeking guilty verdicts on alleged sexual offences involving the 19-year-old complainant.

    The rape charge dropped against Mr Mendy related to an incident with Mr Matturie when the woman had claimed she awoke to find the footballer raping her.

    ‘Predator’

    Mr Mendy still faces seven counts of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault against six young women.

    Prosecutors have alleged Mr Mendy was a “predator” who “turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game”.

    Mr Matturie, the footballer’s friend and fixer, is alleged to have had the job of finding young women for sex.

    He denies six counts of rape and three counts of sexual assault relating to seven young women.

    Both men said if any sex did take place with women or girls it was consensual.

    The trial continues.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    There was low voter turnout on Saturday morning at several polling units in the Abuja Municipal Area Council during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.

    Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units

    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    February 21, 2026
    There was low voter turnout on Saturday morning at several polling units in the Abuja Municipal Area Council during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.

    Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units

    February 21, 2026
    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.