Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    February 21, 2026
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Mathias Pogba arrested over €13 million blackmail plot

    Michael RightBy Michael RightSeptember 15, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Mathias Pogba (left) pictured with Paul Pogba
    Mathias Pogba (left) pictured with Paul Pogba
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Mathias Pogba, the older brother of the France and Juventus footballer Paul Pogba, is reportedly being detained and questioned by police on suspicion of taking part in the scheme to blackmail the Juventus player.

    “Mathias Pogba presented himself to the investigators in the early afternoon and was taken into custody,” a source close to the investigation said on Wednesday. Three other people are also in custody, added a legal source who asked not to be named.

    The formal probe follows preliminary investigations and will look into allegations of blackmail by an armed gang, kidnapping and membership of a criminal conspiracy.

    Paul Pogba has told the Paris prosecution office he had been the target of extortion by childhood friends since March.

    • Gavi signs new Barcelona contract with 1bn Euros release clause

    Pogba is said to have been escorted at gunpoint to a flat in the eastern Paris suburb of Roissy-en-Brie, handing over €100,000 (£85,000) to the gunmen at that time.

    The midfielder claimed that when he initially started playing professionally at the age of 16, he was required to pay ‘protection money’ of €1 million (£860,000) a year, an amount that now totals €13 million (£11.2 million).

    It’s said that Pogba tried to withdraw the entire sum at first, but his bank denied him permission. Instead, the 29-year-old paid £85,000 to the gang but filed a criminal complaint after the group continued to press for more money.

    Mathias Pogba denied the allegations in statements posted on social media. His lawyer reiterated on Friday that he denies any involvement in the alleged extortion.

    That denial in a statement issued by his lawyer, Richard Arbib, came after Mathias Pogba published a bizarre video online on 27 August – in French, Italian, English and Spanish – promising “great revelations” about his younger brother.

    “Taking into account how the affair has evolved and the huge media attention surrounding it, Mathias Pogba strongly insists he knows nothing about any extortion attempt against his brother, Paul Pogba,” read the lawyer’s statement.

    “It is clear that the difficulties the Pogba family are experiencing are the result of outside threats which the justice authorities, who are already involved, will evaluate. Mathias Pogba, who wishes above all to calm the situation with his brother, will from now on only speak with the investigating magistrates, should it be necessary.”

    Two investigating magistrates have been appointed to lead the probe, it was announced last week. The investigation is handled jointly by the French police’s anti-gang and central crime units.

    On the field, Paul Pogba’s hopes of playing for France at the Qatar World Cup later this year hang in the balance after a knee injury.

    The midfielder underwent surgery that was described as “successful” earlier this month.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    February 21, 2026
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.