Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Man City sign £65m defender Ruben Dias from Benfica

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 29, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Ruben Dias joins Man City
    Ruben Dias joins Man City
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Manchester City have signed Benfica defender Ruben Dias for £65m, with Nicolas Otamendi moving in the opposite direction.

    The deal for Dias is worth an initial £62m, with a further £3m subject to add-ons, and was confirmed in a statement from Benfica on Sunday night following City’s 5-2 defeat at home to Leicester.

    In the statement, the Portuguese club said they had agreed a separate fee of 15m euros (£13.6m) to sign Otamendi.

    Dias, who becomes City’s third signing of the summer following the arrivals of Nathan Ake and Ferran Torres, has signed a six-year deal at the Etihad, where he will wear the No 3 shirt.

    “To have the opportunity to join a club like Manchester City is a fantastic opportunity for me and one I couldn’t turn down,” Dias told the club’s website.

    “Their success speaks for itself. They have been the dominant team in England over the last few years, playing an attacking brand of football which I feel suits my own game.

    “It is really exciting to be part of such a talented squad and to play for a world-class manager like Pep Guardiola, who has a proven track record of developing young players like myself.

    “I believe I can improve here, at a club whose ambitions match my own and I will give everything to be successful and win titles.”

    Jorginho Heads To PSG

    Guardiola had been seeking a right-sided centre-back since Vincent Kompany left last year.

    Dias has impressed during three seasons at Benfica and was in Portugal’s 2018 World Cup squad.

    The 23-year-old scored and captained the side in Benfica’s 2-0 win over Moreirense on Saturday, after which he was pictured hugging the club’s sporting director Rui Costa.

    City director of football, Txiki Begiristain, added: “Ruben is a player we have admired for some time and we have been impressed with how he has progressed at Benfica.

    “He has developed into a real leader and as a defender, he has all the attributes we are looking for. He is strong in the air, good in one v one situations and technically, he is very good, so we are confident he can thrive in our system.

    “He is young, but has experience playing for a top European club in Benfica and we’re really pleased we’ve been able to sign him.

    “He is another talented addition to the squad and someone who is only going to get better working under Pep.”

    Kalidou Koulibaly had been City’s top target but Napoli’s sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli recently told Sky in Italy the defender would be staying with the Serie A side this summer, while Sevilla’s Jules Kounde was also previously linked with a move to the Etihad.

    City also denied placing a £78m bid for Atletico Madrid centre-back Jose Gimenez, after the La Liga club’s president claimed he had rejected an offer for the central defender.

    Otamendi, 32, won two Premier League titles with City following his arrival from Valencia in 2015.

    “They were five wonderful years, not just in a footballing sense, but also at a club where they treat you in the best way possible, from the chefs to the kitmen, through to the backroom staff,” Otamendi told the club’s website.

    “I’ve had the opportunity to win two Premier Leagues, to win the Carabao Cup, the FA Cup and the Community Shield. If you win titles it is because you are doing things well, and so I’m happy to have enjoyed these moments, and more than grateful.

    “I was lucky enough since the first year I arrived to win a trophy, and later with the arrival of Pep to win even more. I am just happy to have played my part, with the support of my team-mates and the staff.”

    SKY

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Real Madrid: Alonso says 'n o case with Vinicius' over El Clasico outburst

    Real Madrid top La Liga after 4-1 win over Sociedad

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.