Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kogi State to pay salaries after staff verification

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 18, 2016No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello

    The Kogi state government has completed its personnel verification and has fixed Dec. 20 as deadline for payment of all outstanding salaries.

    The government has also set up an appeal panel to look into cases of staff, who may have any grudge against the decisions of the verification committee.

    The government has also assured members of staff affected by the exercise that they would be resettled adequately to be self-employed.

    A statement released by Mr. Kingsley Femi Fanwo, Director General, Media and Publicity to the Governor of Kogi State, said that the state had been paying a humongous heap of wages and salaries to Ghost workers.

    “The numerical implication of this is that we paid nothing less than one billion naira to ghost workers or unintended beneficiaries every month.”

    He said that confronting ghost workers cabal in the system was one of the patriotic decisions of the present administration.

    The aide stressed that the decision to fight ghost workers emanated from statesmanship rather than a political mind.

    “Politicians think of the next election while a statesman think of the next generation. To save the next generation and build a new Kogi State, it was necessary to stop the flow of billions of naira into unintended pockets.”

    The results of the verification show that some names on the payrolls were completely non-existent. He said that thousands of “workers’’ did not even turn up for the exercise.

    “Some were not properly employed. Improper employment involves, but is not limited to, giving appointments without due process.

    “Also, some workers falsified documents relating to their educational qualifications, age and other information.
    “We also have people who were earning multiple salaries. This would not have been possible with a digitalized payroll, which is one of the objectives of this noble exercise.”

    He explained that the exercise had also been able to check “diaspora workers” people who claim to work for Kogi State were staying and working in other cities like Abuja, Kaduna, PortHarcourt, Kano and Ilorin.

    Some even have appointment letters bearing Kogi State since 1983 when the state was only created in 1991, he said.
    “Any affected worker will continue to have the opportunity of complaints as the exercise will be a continuum.

    “All of these were put in place to ensure that the workers have access to justice under the New Direction Agenda.”

    The exercise would free funds for infrastructural development, which will serve the over 90 per cent of Kogi people, who are not on the payroll of government.

    The exercise will also help genuine civil servants enjoy regular payment of salaries and help to determine the duty schedule of civil servants and restructure the service for efficiency.

    He explained that in the past few days, workers have been receiving salary arrears of between 4 to 10 months, depending on when the workers were cleared.

    “This is in line with the promise of the Governor to ensure workers are paid all their salaries, including the December salary before the 20th of December.”

    The Governor, he said, has plan for those who are affected and who want to work.

    He said that the government would not just throw affected workers into the `dungeon of uncertainty and poverty’ and thus explained that government had developed a plan to empower them to become employers of labour.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.