Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kano: Boko Haram suspects arrested after gunfight with police

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 24, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano has been cleared of bribery allegations
    Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano has been cleared of bribery allegations
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje
    Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje had warned that Boko Haram remnants were finding their way to Kano

    Police in the northern Nigerian city of Kano said they arrested five suspected Boko Haram militants after a gunfight Sunday, marking a flare-up of jihadist violence in the city.

    The suspects were taken into custody on the outskirts of the city as they were about to launch attacks on markets and “places of worship”, Kano state commissioner of police Rabiu Yusuf told reporters.

    Intelligence indicated that “the remnant of a Boko Haram group who escaped from Sambisa Forest were regrouping in some states in the north including Kano,” Yusuf said.

    The suspected jihadists opened fire and hurled home-made explosives, injuring three policemen, said Yusuf.

    READ: N100m suit slammed on Dangote refinery over unlawful detention

    Police arrested five suspects, three men and two women, including a 20-year old Nigerien national, said Yusuf.

    Guns, explosives, military uniforms and face masks were recovered from the suspects.

    The northern city had seen a lull in Boko Haram activity since a November 2014 bombing and shooting attack on the city’s main mosque that killed over 100 people and injured scores of others.

    In December last year, the Nigerian military claimed it had ousted Boko Haram from its Sambisa forest stronghold in northeastern Borno state.

    The military said it captured the group’s “Camp Zero” enclave in the forest, where leader Abubakar Shekau was said to be hiding.

    At the time, Kano state governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje warned that Islamists who escaped from Sambisa were relocating to Kano.

    Today there are growing concerns that Boko Haram militants are moving back into Sambisa Forest.

    Nigerian troops had left the area in March, but an internal military memo circulated on June 24 and seen by AFP warned the jihadists had retaken “Camp Zero”.

    “Elements of Boko Haram…have started regrouping at Camp Zero,” said the document.

    “The insurgents purportedly from Abubakar Shekau faction were reported to have taken the opportunity provided of the facilities being left unguarded after the last range exercise… to reenter and take it over as their camp”.

    If Boko Haram retakes “Camp Zero” it would represent a setback for the Nigerian military.

    AFP/MailOnline

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.