Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta
    • Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco
    • Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash
    • 2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation
    • Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    • Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kaduna Train Attack: 168 people still missing

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 5, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    At least eight people were killed in the attack a week ago Kaduna Attack NRC
    At least eight people were killed in the attack a week ago
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) have said that about 168 people are still missing after a deadly attack on a busy train last week in Kaduna.

    NRC did was not clear on how many of the 168 were kidnapped for ransom – as some may have gone home without telling the authorities.

    Gunmen blew up a section of track between the capital, Abuja, and the northern city of Kaduna last Monday.

    During the ordeal at least eight passengers were killed.

    One survivor has told the BBC how a decision to change carriage could have saved his life, and the lives of his family.

    “I am happy that I am alive and well,” he said on condition of anonymity.

    “But I feel so sad for those killed and the injured – it could have been me,” said the man, who almost missed the train altogether but ran with his wife and two children to catch it just in time.

    The train was riddled with bullets Kaduna
    The train was riddled with bullets

    Once on board, the family walked from one carriage to another after fellow passengers had said they were occupying the wrong seats.

    They had been sitting in coach 17, which was one of those attacked, but moved to coach 12.

    • Kaduna Train Attack: NRC confirms additional 14 safe passengers

    “We heard a loud explosion at about 19:45 – it shook the train and then the train ground to a halt,” he said.

    Suddenly there was the sound of gunfire coming from different directions as the attackers apparently surrounded the train.

    “I gathered my family and we laid on the floor of the train as we saw other passengers doing,” he continued.

    “After some time, it seemed the gunmen forced their way into the coaches because we heard people barking orders at passengers in other coaches. There were some gunshots inside the coaches as well.

    “People were ordered out of the coaches and led into the bush. Nobody entered our coach,” the survivor said.

    “My decision to change coach saved my life and my family.”

    Monday’s attack has not been claimed by any group.

    But the governor of Kaduna state suspects it was the work of Boko Haram Islamists teaming up with a kidnapping gang, and said that rescue operations were under way, while ruling out paying any ransoms.

    There were 362 registered passengers on board the train when it was raided, however the Nigerian Railway Corporation has not said whether the 168 people believed to be missing are all customers or if some train staff are among them. It was initially reported there were 970 passengers on board – the reason for the discrepancy is not clear.

    Reuters news agency quotes relatives of some of the missing as saying suspected bandits had contacted them to tell them they were holding their loved ones.

    Such gangs have become rife in north-west Nigeria, and Kaduna state is considered the epicentre. Earlier this month, there were reports that Kaduna’s airport was attacked.

    In the last 24 months in Nigeria alone, armed gangs have killed hundreds of people and forced thousands to flee their homes.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    February 18, 2026
    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    February 18, 2026
    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.