Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    • EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe
    • Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 29, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ADC woos Jonathan, Saraki, Makinde in new expansion drive
    Former Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former President Goodluck Jonathan has made suggestions on the plausible involvement of Guinea-Bissau President Umaro Embaló in the coup that ravaged the country.

    Jonathan, speaking in a video interview obtained by Chronicle NG, claimed that the military takeover did not follow the typical pattern of a military coup.

    The former president had been to Guinea-Bissau as a member of the West African Elders Forum to observe the presidential and legislative elections.

    However, while observer missions from the African Union, the Economic Community of West African States, and other organizations were still performing their roles, the military took control.

    The development left the former Bayelsa State governor and his staff stranded, raising concerns about his safety.

    Jonathan, who was later removed from Guinea-Bissau and landed in Nigeria on Thursday, said the incident made him uneasy.

    He said, “I have been quite particular about Guinea-Bissau. As a sitting president then, Guinea-Bissau was in crisis. It started around 2012. In 2011, we had to go physically and work with them and make sure that the 2013 elections were conducted.”

    He regarded the situation in Guinea-Bissau as odd, claiming that it did not follow the typical pattern of a military coup.

    Jonathan questioned President Umaro Embaló’s early announcement of his own “arrest,” while still utilizing his phone to speak with worldwide media.

    According to him, the Guinea-Bissau elections were calm, citing reports from ECOWAS, the AU, and other observer teams.

    He expressed worry that, while the results were being compiled, Embaló announced that a coup had occurred and that he had been held, despite evidence indicating that he had never been arrested.

    “It is painful for me that President Embaló was the one announcing a military takeover of government. It is totally unacceptable.

    “What happened in Guinea-Bissau, I would not call it a coup; it was not a coup. For lack of a better word, I will say it was a ceremonial coup because it was President Embaló who announced the coup before the military later came up to address the world that they were in charge of the government.

    “Embaló had already announced that there was a coup, which is strange. Not only announcing the coup, but Embaló, while the coup took place, was using his phone and addressing media organizations across the world, saying that he had been arrested. I’m a Nigerian close to 70, and I know how they keep heads of state when a coup takes place.

    “They cannot be playing pranks; nobody should call others fools. There is no way there will be a military coup at a time they were about to announce election results and the president was the person who announced the coup. It doesn’t happen anywhere,” Jonathan said.

    The former president recommended against using the military to regain power and urged ECOWAS and the AU to publicize the complete election results.

    Jonathan also advocated for the release of Fernando Dias, the primary opposition leader, from military custody, claiming that he had committed no crime.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    February 18, 2026
    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.