Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    February 19, 2026
    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    February 19, 2026
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1
    • When African fans started reading the game like experts
    • Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans
    • NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs
    • Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64
    • Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Italy buries 26 Nigerian girls

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 17, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    People pay respects to the 26 Nigerian girls found dead in the Mediterranean
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    People pay respects to the Nigerian girls
    People pay respects to the Nigerian girls

    Twenty six Nigerian girls who died in the Mediterranean while crossing into Italy from Libya, were given a mass funeral and burial.

    A Roman Catholic bishop and a Muslim imam both said prayers at the simple ceremony in the southern city of Salerno, with 26 wooden coffins laid out on a stone dais. A single white rose was placed on the lid of each.



    Just two of the women were identified.

    “It is very likely that these girls were victims of trafficking for sexual exploitation,” said Federico Soda, director UN migration agency IOM for the Mediterranean.

    A recent IOM report had estimated that 80 percent of Nigerian girls arriving in Italy by sea might be trafficking victims.

    The 26 bodies were retrieved from the sea on Nov. 3 by a Spanish rescue ship, while some 64 people were unaccounted for and feared lost, bringing the total dead to around 90, said Flavio Di Giacomo, an IOM spokesman.

    Read Also Aguero back after fainting against Nigeria

    Survivors found on nearby rubber boats said the women were all Nigerian and had left Libya hoping to make it to Italy.

    The only two identified were named as Marian Shaka, who was married, and Osato Osaro. Both were pregnant. Some of those who died were believed to have been as young as 14.

    Almost 115,000 migrants, mainly African men, have reached Italy so far this year, according to government data released on Friday, against just over 167,000 in the same period last year.

    IOM said at least 2,925 people died trying to cross the Mediterranean from Jan 1.-Nov. 5 against 4,302 last year.

    The Italian government has worked with Libyan authorities to block migrants from leaving the north African state, leading to a sharp fall in new arrivals since the summer.

    The government says its policy has cut the number of sea deaths, while critics say it has left thousands of refugees and migrants trapped in appalling conditions in Libya.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Club Brugge netted a thrilling late equalizer while battling back twice against Atletico Madrid, leaving their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie finely balanced.

    UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid

    Bodo/Glimt

    Bodo/Glimt get shocking 3-1 UCL victory over Inter Milan

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    February 19, 2026
    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    February 19, 2026
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    February 19, 2026
    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.