Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Imo: 18 killed in machete attacks

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 8, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Cultists
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    No fewer than 18 people were slain in coordinated attacks across multiple towns in the Orsu Local Government Area of Imo State on Sunday. 

    The killings occurred in Umukabia, Eziawa, Ihitte Nasa, Umuhu, Amaoku, and Amaebe. Victims were left with serious machete wounds, causing fear and fury among neighbours.

    Prof. Chidi Odinkalu, a former chairman of the Nigerian Human Rights Commission from Orsu, announced the incident on Monday via his X account.

    According to the report, the incident occurred following the yearly masquerade event held in Umuhu, Amaoku, Amaebe, and surrounding areas.

    Following the festivities, some locals, including holiday returnees, congregated at a drinking establishment.

    Passers-by later discovered all nine persons in the establishment, including customers and employees, lying in pools of blood with machete wounds.

    A source who pleaded anonymity said, “Everybody in the joint, all nine people, were discovered dead, either customers or attendants; they had been butchered with deep machete cuts all over.

    “We were just a few blocks away from there, and nobody heard any sound of gunshot or argument.  We suspect that members of the Indigenous People of Biafra and Eastern Security Network were behind this.”

    He went on to say that three corpses, including family members, were discovered in Umukabia, five corpses in Eziawa village, and another five corpses in Ihitte Nasa, all with machete cuts on the same day.

    “I can’t explain how these incidents happened and nobody noticed. Three people in Umukabia, five in Ezinwa, and another five in Ihitte Nasa villages, and nobody saw the killers come in nor when leaving. Orsu lost 18 promising lives in one day.

    “We suspect that these killings were done with inside collaboration with Orsu boys who are members of IPOB and ESN members that we don’t know,” the source said.

    Orsu suffered years of IPOB and ESN dominance, driving locals away until recent military operations recaptured parts of the area, enabling gradual resettlement.

    Imo State Police Public Relations Officer Henry Okoye confirmed the killings and stated that investigations are underway.

    Okoye said, “The police are aware of the killings, and already CP Aboki Danjuma has set up a high-powered security team involving the different security agencies to unravel the case. The CP appeals to people to remain calm.”

    A police source, speaking anonymously, claimed the attackers sought to instill terror and drive inhabitants out of the villages again.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.